3 Step Process to Identify the Best Adjustable Base
Below we describe our detailed and unbiased process of ranking adjustable beds. It is based on this ranking process that the best adjustable beds listed here were selected.
We analyzed over 30 adjustable bed specs and over 1000 consumer reviews on 100+ beds from different companies which led to the identification of the 10 Most Useful adjustable bed specs.
Discovering the Most Important Specs
Optional specs (some related to health)
Scoring & Ranking of Adjustable Beds
These 4 criteria were used for our ranking: (1) available specs, (2) manufacturer reputation, (3) consumer reviews and (4) pricing structure.
We gave a score to each bed based on the above 4 criteria
Top 10 Ranking
Finally, we ranked and reviewed the 10 finest adjustable beds based on the score received by each bed.
33 Adjustable Bed Specs Used for the Ranking Process
We further categorized these 33 specs as the 10 most popular specs and 23 miscellaneous specs.
the top 10 specs
3 Optional Specs
- Lumbar Support: for those who need extra back support
- Furniture-style Decking: for those who like the gorgeous looks
- Elevation Lift: to prevent acid reflux/ heartburn
We call these 'optional' because they're useful under certain scenarios only. For example, you'd need 'Elevation Lift', only if you have heartburn/ acid reflux.
4 Supplementary Specs
- Head and Foot Massage: to relax and relieve those tired muscles
- Storage-bed Compatibility
- Height-adjustable Legs
- Under-bed Lighting
Fortunately, if you buy an adjustable bed with the 3 must-have specs, these are usually included. These 4 are definitely 'Nice-to-Have', but NOT 'Must-haves'.
The 3 MUST-HAVE Adjustable Features for your Bed
Below we have explained the importance of the 3 Must-Have specs. If you agree that they'll be useful to you, make sure you pick an adjustable bed with those properties.
1. Pillow Tilting
For better head and neck support while watching TV, reading or working on the computer.
2. Wall Hugging
Keeps you close to the nightstand in the upright position by sliding back towards the headboard.
On non-wall hugging adjustable beds, as you raise the head, your whole body moves forward placing the nightstand out of reach. Turning back to reach something on the nightstand can give you neck and back sprains.
Wallhugger engineering eliminates this and makes the adjustable bed base slide back as you raise your upper body so that it never leaves the headboard or the nightstand. Some companies call this wall gliding or 'nightstand friendly'. Whatever you call it, the leading adjustable bed brands have this.
3. Programmable Memory
Program your one-touch 'favorite positions' as per your personal preferences.
Most average adjustable beds come with 'preset' memory positions instead of customizable memory positions. With preset positions, you have to be content with what the adjustable bed manufacturer programs for you.
In contrast, customizable memory positions give you the power to control your favorite memory positions based on your personal preferences!
Some adjustable bed companies give the option to reprogram their presets on the remote.
23 Miscellaneous specs
- USB Ports
- Mattress Retainer Bar
- Micro-hooking Mattress Retention (Anti-skid platforms)
- Bluetooth Speakers
- Pulse and Wave massage with different intensity levels
- Massage Timer on remote control
- Backlit/ Illuminated Remote Controller
- Remote Pouch
- Whisper-quiet motors
- Free-fall during power outages
- Preset Zero-gravity, Lounge, Anti-snore, Flat and TV watching positions on the remote
- Is the remote controller wireless or not?
- Smartphone / iOS or Android App control via Bluetooth
- Weight-lifting capacity (up to 900 lb per base including mattress weight)
- Remote controller flash light
- Finish/ upholstery finishes
- Adjustable bed company / manufacturer reputation
- Price - cheap vs expensive adjustable bed pricing
- Ease of setup
- White glove service and delivery option
- Consumer Reviews
- Customer Support
Here is a detailed breakdown of how we calculated the 'Scores' for each bed frame.
Adjustable Bed Feature
Maximum Marks Allocated
Programmable Memory Positions
Furniture Style Decking
Head and Foot Massage
Under-bed Storage/ Zero-Clearance
Adjustable leg height
Adjustable Bed Scoring Sample Explanations:
- If a particular adjustable bed offered 3 programmable memory positions and another offered 2 programmable memory positions, the former would have received 10/10 marks and the latter would have received 7/10 marks.
- If a particular adjustable bed was manufactured by a popular company that has been in the furniture/mattress industry since the 1930s, it may receive the maximum of 5/5 points allocated for 'brand'. In contrast, if another company was only formed in 2015, that bed may receive only 2/5 allocated for brand.
- If a particular adjustable bed is priced $500 for the queen size, and another $1500, the former may receive the maximum of 15/15 points allocated for 'price' while the latter may receive only 5/15 allocated for price. The following is the detailed breakdown of the scoring system we followed for price.
- Less than $750 for a Queen adjustable bed = 15/15
- $750-1250 for a Queen adjustable bed = 10/15
- $1250-2000 for a Queen adjustable bed = 5/15
- $2000-2500 for a Queen adjustable bed = 2/15
- More than $2500 for a Queen adjustable bed = 0/15