Adjustable Bed Rating and Ranking Process
Below we describe our detailed and unbiased process of ranking adjustable beds. It is based on this ranking process that the top 10 adjustable beds listed here were selected.
3 Step Process to Identify the Best Adjustable Base
1200+ Consumer Reviews
We analyzed over 30 adjustable bed specs and over 1000 consumer reviews on 100+ beds from different companies which led to the identification of the 10 Most Useful adjustable bed specs.
Discovering the Most Important Specs
4 Supplementary specs
3 Optional specs (some related to health)
Our adjustable bed ranking process is mainly based on the specs offered by different models.
Scoring & Ranking of Adjustable Beds
These 4 criteria were used for our ranking: (1) available specs, (2) manufacturer reputation, (3) consumer reviews and (4) pricing structure.
We gave a score to each bed based on the above 4 criteria
Top 10 Ranking
Finally, we ranked and reviewed the 10 finest adjustable beds based on the score received by each bed.
For more details on the ranking and review process, please visit this page.
33 Adjustable Bed Specs Used for the Ranking Process
Here is the full list of the 33 adjustable bed specs that we considered in our adjustable bed ratings.
- Pillow tilting
- Wall hugging
- Programmable memory positions
- Lumbar Support
- Furniture-style Decking
- Elevation Lift
- Head and Foot Massage
- Storage-bed Compatibility
- Height-adjustable Legs
- Under-bed Lighting
- Adjustable bed company / manufacturer reputation
- Backlit/ Illuminated Remote Controller
- Bluetooth Speakers
- Consumer Reviews
- Customer Support
- Ease of setup
- Finish/ upholstery finishes
- Free-fall during power outages
- Massage Timer on remote control
- Mattress Retainer Bar
- Micro-hooking Mattress Retention (Anti-skid platforms)
- Preset Zero-gravity, Lounge, Anti-snore, Flat, and TV watching positions on the remote
- Price – cheap vs expensive adjustable bed pricing
- Pulse and Wave massage with different intensity levels
- Remote controller flash light
- Remote Pouch
- Smartphone / iOS or Android App control via Bluetooth
- USB Ports
- Weight-lifting capacity (up to 900 lb per base including mattress weight
- Whisper-quiet motors
- White glove service and delivery option
- Wired vs wireless remote controller
The important thing to understand is that not all of the above features matter equally. While some are more important, others are not. One satisfied five star reviewer of our #1 rated adjustable bed explained this concept very nicely. He said that “the flashlight remote, under bed lighting, massage, and Bluetooth speaker are just bonus things that didn’t really factor into my purchase decision”. This is exactly what you need to understand as well.
We further categorized these 33 specs as the 10 most popular specs and 23 miscellaneous specs.
the top 10 specs
3 MUST-HAVE Specs
- Pillow Tilting: better head and neck support when sitting up on the bed (reading, watching TV etc.)
- Wall Hugging : keeps you next to the nightstand even when the head is raised
- Programmable Memory Positions: program your own, custom positions
These are HIGHLY recommended features with any age group, but especially so, if you’re closing up on the senior years! These 3 are MUST-Haves if your budget allows. Simply put, no model can be called the best adjustable frame if it doesn’t have these three functions.
3 Optional Specs
- Lumbar Support: for those who need extra back support
- Furniture-style Decking: for those who like the gorgeous looks
- Elevation Lift: to prevent acid reflux/ heartburn
We call these ‘optional’ because they’re useful under certain scenarios only. For example, you’d need ‘Elevation Lift’, only if you have heartburn/ acid reflux.
4 Supplementary Specs
- Head and Foot Massage: to relax and relieve those tired muscles
- Storage-bed Compatibility
- Height-adjustable Legs
- Under-bed Lighting
Fortunately, if you buy an adjustable bed with the 3 must-have specs, these are usually included. These 4 are definitely ‘Nice-to-Have’, but NOT ‘Must-haves’.
The 3 MUST-HAVE Adjustable Features for your Bed
Below we have explained the importance of the 3 Must-Have specs. If you agree that they’ll be useful to you, make sure you pick an adjustable bed with those properties.
1. Pillow Tilting
For better head and neck support while watching TV, reading or working on the computer.
Most adjustable beds have only (A) head articulation and (B) foot articulation. Head tilting doesn’t support your head and neck sufficiently, especially when you want to keep your head straight as in when watching TV or reading a book.Pillow tilting, a third level of articulation, provides the head and neck with the additional support needed for watching TV, reading books, working on the computer etc. from bed. We strongly recommend that you to pick a high-quality adjustable bed with pillow tilting with independent controls because it can save you a lot of pain in the long run!
2. Wall Hugging
Keeps you close to the nightstand in the upright position by sliding back towards the headboard.
On non-wall hugging adjustable beds, as you raise the head, your whole body moves forward placing the nightstand out of reach. Turning back to reach something on the nightstand can give you neck and back sprains.
Wallhugger engineering eliminates this and makes the adjustable bed base slide back as you raise your upper body so that it never leaves the headboard or the nightstand. Some companies call this wall gliding or ‘nightstand friendly’. Whatever you call it, the leading adjustable bed brands have this.
3. Programmable Memory
Program your one-touch ‘favorite positions’ as per your personal preferences.
Most average adjustable beds come with ‘preset’ memory positions instead of customizable memory positions. With preset positions, you have to be content with what the adjustable bed manufacturer programs for you. In contrast, customizable memory positions give you the power to control your favorite memory positions based on your personal preferences!
Some adjustable bed companies give the option to reprogram their presets on the remote.
80+ Adjustable Beds Analyzed and Reviewed
- Amerisleep Adjustable Bed Plus
- Applied Sleep
- Ashley Furniture Signature Design
- Avenue 405
- BEDBOSS Essential
- BEDBOSS Maximize 604
- BEDBOSS Relax 404
- Blissful Nights e3, e4, e5 adjustable bed bases
- Blissful Nights z4
- Boyd Sleep
- Brooklyn Bedding Ascension Luxe, Ultra and Signature Adjustable Power Bases
- Brookside Classic adjustable bed base
- Classic Brands Adjustable Comfort Affordamatic 2.0
- Classic Brands Comfort Upholstered adjustable base
- ComforPedic bed bases from BeautyRest
- Comsuit bed frame
- CO-Z adjustable bed base
- Dynasty Mattress DM1000C, DM9000F bed frames
- DynastyMattress DM9000s
- Ergonomic adjustable base
- Giantex Adjustable Massage Bed Base
- iDealBed 3i, 4i, 5i Custom adjustable bed bases
- iDealBed iEscape
- Idle Sleep
- Inofia bed frame
- Irvine S5000 and S7000
- Layla Plus adjustable bed frame
- Leggett and Platt Prodigy Comfort Elite
- Leggett and Platt S-Cape Plus
- Lexicon Spaced Out Wireless adjustable platform
- LINENSPA Motorized Head and Foot Incline
- LUCID L100, L300 and L600 adjustable bed bases
- Luxury Adjustable Powerbase
- Mainstays Remote adjustable frame
- Mattress America
- MAXXPRIME Wall Hugger
- Mecklin Model G Adjustable Base
- Mecor Upholstered electric bed frame
- Mellow Genie 500
- Member’s Mark Split King Premier Adjustable Base
- Milemont base
- Motion Essentials IV Adjustable Base Set
- Naomi Home idealBase Adjustable Mattress Base
- Naomi Home Serenity Height adjustable bed base
- Nectar adjustable beds
- Pemberly Row Model T
- PlushBeds E255, E455, M555
- PlushBeds S755
- PragmaBed Pragmatic
- Priage by Zinus Adjustable Metal Bed
- Purple adjustable bed frame
- Reverie 7S
- Reverie 8Q Adjustable Power Foundation
- Reverie iDealBed Signature 8i
- Sealy Ease 3.0 Base
- Serta Motion Air Queen Adjustable Base
- Signature Design by Ashley – Good, Better and Best
- Signature Sleep Power Upholstered Bed
- Sleep Sync adjustable bed base
- Sleep Zone Z100, Z150, Z350 adjustable bed bases
- Slumber Solutions
- Sven and Son Essential
- Sven and Son Platinum
- Tempur-pedic Ease Power Base
- Tempur-pedic Ergo Smart Base
- Tempur-pedic Ergo Extend
- Yaasa ONE
- ZINUS Jared
Adjustable Bed Rating Process
Here is a detailed breakdown of how we calculated the ‘Scores’ for each bed frame.
Adjustable Bed Feature
Maximum Marks Allocated
Programmable Memory Positions
Furniture Style Decking
Head and Foot Massage
Under-bed Storage/ Zero-Clearance
Adjustable leg height
Adjustable Bed Scoring Sample Explanations
- If a particular adjustable bed offered 3 programmable memory positions and another offered 2 programmable memory positions, the former would have received 10/10 marks and the latter would have received 7/10 marks.
- If a particular adjustable bed was manufactured by a popular company that has been in the furniture/mattress industry since the 1930s, it may receive the maximum of 5/5 points allocated for ‘brand’. In contrast, if another company was only formed in 2015, that bed may receive only 2/5 allocated for brand.
- If a particular adjustable bed is priced $500 for the queen size, and another $1500, the former may receive the maximum of 15/15 points allocated for ‘price’ while the latter may receive only 5/15 allocated for price. The following is the detailed breakdown of the scoring system we followed for price.
- Less than $750 for a Queen adjustable bed = 15/15
- $750-1250 for a Queen adjustable bed = 10/15
- $1250-2000 for a Queen adjustable bed = 5/15
- $2000-2500 for a Queen adjustable bed = 2/15
- More than $2500 for a Queen adjustable bed = 0/15