We have talked about the best adjustable beds elsewhere. Let’s just call them best general purpose adjustable beds. But when it comes to the elderly, there are a few special-purpose adjustable beds specifically made for the our loving seniors.
Best budget-friendly adjustable bed frame for elders
Best-Value Mid-Range Adjustable Bed
5 reasons we recommend this adjustable bed for elders specifically?
- Economically Priced: Let’s face it; seniors are not the most economically secure age-group of Americans. So why spend extravagantly on an adjustable bed when you can find the same features for a cheap price?
- This is one of the best priced adjustable beds in the market for any age-group of sleepers. Coming from a popular American brand name, this is almost too good to be true. This pricing structure makes it more affordable than it has ever been.
- 50 Night Trial with FREE Returns – unheard of in the adjustable bed industry
- Easy Assembly: Seniors or not, complicated assembly can be a pain in the neck for anyone. The Nectar adjustable bed is extremely simple to put together with an ‘almost no-assembly design’. This can be a real back-saver for anyone putting the bed together.
- Adjustable leg height: the legs on the Nectar can be adjusted to 4, 6.5, or 10.5 inches allowing you to raise or lower the entire bed according to your preference. This can be a very handy feature because getting up from a very low position can be challenging regardless of the age-group.
- 0% APR financing options (monthly payments as low as $59)
10 more reasons why we recommend the Nectar for anyone looking for a high-quality, yet, no-frills adjustable base
- Best-value for money, No Frills Adjustable Bed
- Head and foot tilting
- Three Programmable Memory Positions
- Four Additional Preset Memory Positions (Zero-gravity + Flat + TV + Anti-snore)
- Head & Foot full body massage
- Simple 16-button backlit remote controller
- Four USB ports
- Remote flash light
- 1000 lb industry-leading weight lifting capacity (including the mattress weight)
- Under-bed storage space
We have organized this seniors’ adjustable bed review into 3 sections
- Best sleep-to-stand adjustable beds
- Best Elevating adjustable beds
- Best recommended budget-friendly adjustable beds for seniors
The Best Adjustable Beds for Seniors
Have you heard of sit-to-stand adjustable beds? I don’t think a lot of explanation is necessary. The image below explains exactly what a sit-to-stand bed is!
Major benefits of sleep-to-stand beds
- Seniors or individuals with painful knees/backs will especially benefit from this type of bed
- The bed does all the work for you
- The sleeper is relieved from all muscle and joint pains he/she may get while getting into or out of bed
- Click Here for More Information and Customer Reviews
- This type of sit-to-stand beds (also known as sleep-to-stand adjustable beds) are electric operated.
- The motorized bed elevates the sleeper from the sleeping position all the way up to a sitting position or subsequently to a standing position.
- Getting into or out of bed (entry and exit) is completely taken care of!!
Brand Name: Envyy
The best electric reclining bed for seniors is the height-adjustable Glideaway Elevation adjustable bed. As of June 2018, Glideaway is the only manufacturer of such height-adjustable reclining beds.
Unique ‘Elevate & Lift’ feature of the Glideaway Elevation Adjustable Bed
The Glideaway Elevation
Other adjustable beds
A picture is worth a thousand words. I hope you see the unique feature of the Glideaway adjustable bed series now.
So why is it a suitable adjustable bed for the elderly?
Getting in and out of a ‘low’ bed can be difficult not only for senior citizens, but even for some of us middle aged guys and gals. You can simply ‘elevate’ the Glideaway bed and jump on it or off it and then lower it when you want to fall asleep. Other adjustable beds can’t do that and your only option with them is to really bend down at your knees.
Power Lift Recliner Chairs. They basically do the same thing; the power recliners ‘lift’ themselves up so that a person sitting on it or getting out of it can do so, almost at a standing position.You can compare this a bit to the
The height-adjustable Glideaway beds are built on the same principle. Those with back or knee pains can get in and out of bed without straining those joints!
Any other health benefits of this elevated position?
If you’ve ever owned or slept on an adjustable bed, you already know that those fancy positions like the lounging/zero-gravity positions don’t work for side-sleepers and stomach-sleepers. If you belong to any one of the above categories, you can only make use of above positions for resting, TV watching, book reading etc.
If you sleep on your side or on your stomach, you essentially have to flatten the bed when you sleep. That’s not very helpful if you have acid reflux, for example, is it?
The Glideaway Elevation is a different beast of a bed. It actually lets you sleep on your back, stomach or side flattened and elevated. This is known as the reverse Trendelenburg position. Ordinary adjustable beds from Sleep Number, Tempur-Pedic, Leggett & Platt, Reverie or Ergomotion cannot do it (as of June 2018). This is a huge positive of these adjustable beds.
In addition, those with back pain have also reported better relief with the reverse Trendelenburg position. Because the gravity is pulling your lower body down, the pressure on the spinal cord decreases notably.
Glideaway Ascend Adjustable Bed
On the images, the Glideaway Elvation and Ascend look awfully similar. What exactly is the difference between these two? You ask… We have provided a Glideaway adjustable bed review elsewhere, but for the sake of this article, we’ll do a quick comparison below.
|Glideaway Elevation Bed||Glideaway Ascend Bed|
|Head tilt and foot tilt||Yes||Yes|
Quite frankly, there isn’t another adjustable bed on the market that will specifically address medical issues associated with geriatrics. If the above three beds are too pricey for your liking, or you don’t need those special-purpose sleep-to-stand or elevation beds, the Lucid L100 and Blissful Nights adjustable beds which are extremely economically priced, should do the job for you.
Lucid L100 adjustable bed for seniors
What makes the Lucid L100 suitable for older individuals?
- Economically priced – Just over $400 for a Queen Adjustable Bed. Now that is unheard of in the market of rising beds.
- Lightweight bed frame
- Comes pre-assembled – (1) unpack the box, (2) unfold the bed that is folded in half, (3) screw on the legs, and (4) plug it in. How long do you think that’ll take you?
Blissful Nights Ananda Adjustable Bed
The Blissful Nights Ananda Adjustable Bed is an excellent adjustable bed with most of the bells and whistles you would expect on an adjustable bed, but for a low, wallet-friendly price.
The major features of the Blissful Nights Ananda adjustable bed
- The adjustable frame comes with the Ananda 12″ Pearl & Gel Infused Premium-quality Memory Foam Mattress which provides pressure relief where necessary
- Head tilt, Foot tilt, and Pillow tilt
- One Touch Flat, Anti Snore and Zero Gravity preset memory positions
- Programmable Memory Positions
- Dual Therapeutic Massage with 3 intensity levels for muscle relaxation and improved blood circulation
- Dual USB Ports on each side of the adjustable base (4 ports in total)
- whisper quite motors
- Wireless Back lit Remote
- Adjustable Height Legs – choose from 6″, 9″ or 12″
- Smart bed with Ananda Base Wifi phone app
- Simple assembly requires no tools
- Click Here for More Info
Blissful Nights carry several models of adjustable beds and we have done a detailed comparison and review of Blissful Nights adjustable beds on this page.
Conclusion on adjustable beds for seniors
In summary, these are our Top 5 Adjustable Beds for Elders
- Envyy Sleep-to-Stand adjustable bed
- Glideaway Elevation adjustable bed (read our Glideaway elevation bed review here)
- Glideaway Ascend adjustable bed
- Lucid L100 bed
- Blissful Nights Ananda adjustable base with adjustable mattress
We hope the above review of the best adjustable beds for seniors solved your queries. If the above models were not what you had in mind, please check out our list of top 12 adjustable beds. Alternatively, you can also check out real hospital beds like this model. It too has the ability to elevate approximately 10 inches which may be sufficient, especially if there is a 12″ or more adjustable mattress on top of the bed frame.
We have highlighted several important features to consider when choosing a portable adjustable bed recliner for seniors. Hope they were useful and help you in your decision making process is picking the best hospital bed. Please note that these are not necessarily what’s described as geriatric beds. If that’s what you’re looking for, you may want to check on pivoting and turning beds in addition to the above described ‘recliner beds for elderly’.
Good luck and don’t forget to let us know how helpful this review was!