Best Adjustable Beds – Reviews of Top 10 Bases and Mattresses
Adjustable beds were traditionally used as hospital beds. However today, adjustable beds have become an almost indispensable part of the bedroom owing to their various lifestyle and health benefits. If you are looking to improve your sleep with an adjustable base and mattress, look no further as our 10 best adjustable beds have been carefully selected based on a scientific ranking and review process.
Here’s what you will learn about on this page
- Our scientific adjustable bed rating process
- Top 10 specs including the 3 MUST-HAVE adjustable features you need to own
- Top 10 best adjustable bed brands (comparison table and detailed reviews)
- Best High-end adjustable beds
- Best Mid-range adjustable bed bases
- High quality low-cost adjustable frames
- Best mattresses for adjustable beds
- 10 health benefits of adjustable beds
- 340+ reader comments, questions and answers
Here’s what we analyzed to find all of the above
- 80+ Adjustable bases
- 33 Adjustable base specs
- 1200+ Consumer reviews
- Manufacturer Reputation
- Warranty Terms and Coverage Periods
- Real Value for the Price
10 Best Adjustable Bed Brands of 2021 – Unique Review
These two tables give an overview of the PROS and CONS of (1) Premium, (2) Mid-Range and (3) Budget-Friendly Adjustable Bed Frames (scroll down for detailed reviews of our best adjustable beds).
If you’re on a Mobile Phone, please flip it to Landscape orientation to view the mega comparison.
Scroll DOWN and to the LEFT to see specs of all 10 bases.
The 1st table compares the MOST IMPORTANT features of the highest ranked adjustable beds.
The table below compares the relatively minor, yet pretty important, features of the 10 adjustable beds.
Disclaimer: Our adjustable bed experts and editors have triple checked the content on this guide to make sure that it paints an accurate picture of your dream bed in your mind. But our team of editors and reviewers are regular human beings that can make mistakes just like regular people. This is why we think it’s best that you go online and cross-check all our content against the relevant product pages. Also note that although product testing has been done on a few models, it is not possible to do product testing for all 80+ models we have reviewed here. Kindly note that this buyer guide is for informational purposes only and that we encourage you to consult your doctor or a suitable medical practitioner regarding the suitability of motion beds for your medical conditions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Overall Best Adjustable Bed
We review each of our top 10 adjustable beds in great detail further down the article. Here we provide a quick overview of our #1 ranked adjustable bed base of 2021 for your convenience.
18 Pros & Cons of the #1 Ranked Adjustable Bed Base
The DM9000s gets our highest recommendation because it is the most-feature rich and best-value adjustable frame you will find in the current market. It is one unique base because it has all the major features you can expect to find in premium adjustable beds of 2021. We sleep nearly 1/3rd of our lives; that’s why the DM9000s should be your number one choice. You shouldn’t settle for anything less than the highest quality recliner bed and mattress you can get your hands around.
DM9000s has 9 of the Top 10 Features
(First 3 are MUST-HAVE specs)
- Independent Pillow tilting – better neck support during reading, TV watching, knitting, email checking etc. No more stacking pillows to keep your head straight. This one is a mandatory feature if you do any of the above tasks on your bed. Also helps to stop snoring by elevating your head by a few degrees.
- Wall hugging – slides the adjustable base back towards the wall/ headboard to keep you close to the nightstand even when you’re in the upright position. This is the one feature you need if you use your nightstand/ bed-side-table often.
- FOUR Memory Positions (3 programmable + 1 preset) on the backlit remote controller to get you to your favorite position with a single click. Especially worth mentioning is the programmable zero gravity position button. Whatever brand you buy, make sure it has at least one programmable memory button.
- Head and Foot massage function with timer, speed control buttons, different intensity levels, pulse and rolling-wave feature.
- Platform bed/ storage bed-friendly (zero-clearance adjustable bed). Over 90% of the models have mechanical components sticking under the adjustable foundation preventing you from using it with a storage or platform bed. But the DM9000s is specially designed to ensure that nothing sticks underneath the bed.
- Height adjustable legs so that the legs can be adjusted from 6 – 10 inches (at one inch increments)
- Under-bed LED lighting so that your night-time trips to the bathroom can be lit up without disturbing your partner
- Lumbar support to relieve certain types of lower back pains including tired/aching lower back muscles. This one is adjustable; hence you can control the lumbar pressure applied on the lower back region using the ‘Lumbar Up’ and ‘Lumbar Down’ buttons.
- Upholstered, furniture-style decking for great looks (hides the ‘ugly’ metal components if you wish to use it as a standalone bed, without a wooden frame).
The one and only top 10 feature it lacks is Elevation Lift. This feature is an optional one for sleepers with severe heartburn (acid reflux). You can still successfully combat it, even without elevation lift, by raising the upper body 5 – 8 degrees using head tilt or pillow tilt.
6 BONUS features of the DM9000s base
- Economically priced: adjustable beds with half the features of the DM9000S are up to $2000 more expensive (for a split-king) than this one
- Extended 10-Year Warranty on parts, labor, electrical and motor ($0 deductible parts and labor with in-home technician visits).
- Lifetime Warranty on its metal frame.
- Micro-hooking mattress retention in addition to the mattress retention bar which is old-fashioned. Also, the latter gets in the way when making the bed (tucking the sheets under the bar can be annoying).
- The DM9000s has 4 USB Ports (2 on each side of the bed) for charging devices like smartphones, tablet computers etc.
- Bluetooth speakers and one sub-woofer
April UPDATE : Up to $450 off Sale with New Coupon Code !!
Save an EXTRA $100 (on the Queen size) or $150 (on a Split-King)
on the checkout page with coupon code dynastybed (Watch video below to learn how)
3 Cons of the DM9000s adjustable frame
We failed to find any noteworthy drawbacks/ limitations except for the following three:
- It lacks ‘Elevation Lift’ which is one of the features recommended for sleepers with severe acid reflux. You can still raise the head about 8 degrees on the DM9000s and that works very well to combat GERD / acid reflux
- Lacks a ‘Remote Pouch’ – Not a deal breaker by any means. The PlushBeds S755 has a side pouch to hold the wireless remote controller.
- Over the years, we’ve seen that this model goes out of stock online regularly. May be they can’t keep up with the demand (just guessing). Consider yourself lucky if the size you want is in-stock when you’re reading this.
How to Choose The Right Adjustable Bed?
If YOU had to choose the bed yourself, this is what you’ll need to do:
- Research not one, but a wide range of adjustable bed brands
- Analyze features offered by each one of those beds
- Identify the MUST-HAVE features for your bed
- Analyze the manufacturer/ supplier/ brand reputation
- Study consumer reviews for each bed
- Compare specs, price point etc. etc. with other adjustable bases
That is what we have done at Bedroom Solutions so that you can benefit from our decades of experience in the sleep industry. Here’s exactly what we analyzed to compile this adjustable bed buyer’s guide.
Scientific Adjustable Bed Buyer’s Guide
Below we will give an overview of how we ranked the best adjustable beds; however, if you want the detailed ranking process, please go here. We initially analyzed 33 specs and 1200+ reviews by consumers and reviewers on over 80 adjustable frames from different manufacturers. This analysis revealed the following 10 most useful and popular specs which we further categorized as shown below.
Top 10 Most Useful Specs
3 MUST-HAVE Specs
- Pillow Tilting: better head and neck adjustability when sitting up on the bed (work, read, or watch TV etc.). With head tilt alone, you cannot sufficiently straighten your upper body to watch TV. As one reviewer said, “Pillow tilting adjustments allow me to watch Netflix for hours at a stretch without the constant neck pain I used to have“. It can also be used to stop snoring of your partner or yourself (just tilt this section by a few degrees for the anti-snoring function).
- Wall Hugging : provides an extra adjustment that keeps you next to the nightstand even when the upper section is raised
- Programmable Memory Positions: lets you program your own custom positions (at least one; ideally more than one position), so that you can go to your favorite lounging position for example, with a single click rather than meddling with multiple adjustments
To learn more about these 3 features, go here to watch 3 animations. These 3 are mandatory specs if your budget allows. If your adjustable bed base doesn’t have these 3, you’re missing a lot!!
3 Optional Specs
- Lumbar Support: this adjustment is for those who need extra back support for certain types of lower back pain. In addition to that, as one reviewer mentioned, it can also help fix existing mattress sagging.
- Furniture-style Decking: for those who like the gorgeous looks
- Elevation Lift: to prevent heartburn
4 Supplementary Specs
- Head and Foot Massage function: to relax and rest those tired muscles. As one reviewer perfectly said “Don’t expect a shiatsu massaging, it’s more like vibration, very soothing and I love it“
- Storage-bed Compatibility
- Height-adjustable Legs: this adjustment can raise or lower the bed as you please
- Under-bed Lighting
2021 Reviews of Best Adjustable Bed Frames
Below we go into great detail about the adjustable bed bases that made it to our top 10 listing. Please spend enough time on each movable bed and mattress to understand the differences of physical specs as well as their manufacturing companies, trial periods, 3 – 10 year limited warranty periods, available sizes, online availability, cost of white glove delivery, consumer satisfaction, customer service, various buttons on the wireless remote controllers, ease of setup, ability to fit a headboard, pricing structure etc. These adjustable bed frame reviews are very unique and unbiased. We hope you make maximum use of them to better your sleep and your overall quality of life.
Overall Best Adjustable Bed of 2021 – DM9000s
25 reasons to buy the DM9000s, the most-feature rich power bed base you will find on planet earth right now.
- Independent Pillow Tilting – head/chest tilting straightens you up to an angle of 60 degrees. This doesn’t straighten your back enough for watching television, reading, working etc. Pillow tilting adds an additional 0 – 15 degrees helping you straighten your upper body perfectly for TV watching, reading etc. Additionally, the pillow tilting adjustment works beautifully as an anti-snore position as well; another useful feature for seniors.
- Wall Hugging – ordinary adjustable beds move forward away from the wall/ nightstand when the upper body is raised. This movement basically puts the nightstand out of reach. If you wanted to reach something on the nightstand, you’ll have to reach back awkwardly, potentially straining your neck/ back. The DM9000s has another feature called wallhugger engineering which keeps you adjacent to the nightstand even after the head is raised. This feature is a must have feature if you are a senior citizen or if you use your bed-side-table regularly.
- Customizable Memory Positions – adjustable beds typically have preset and programmable memory placements. Presets, as the name says, are preset. You can’t change them even if you don’t like ’em. But programmable positions are customizable. The zero-gravity and Memory A & B buttons on the wireless remote are customizable. Therefore, these buttons allow you to program and recall your favorite positions with a single click
- Independent lumbar area support
- Furniture-style decking
- Head & Foot massage settings: Pulse and Wave massage features with timer and 3 intensity levels
- Storage-bed compatibility – place it on a storage / platform bed or use the space underneath the bed for storage purposes
- Height adjustable legs (6 – 10″)
- Under-bed LED lighting
- 4 USB charging ports (2 on each side)
- Quiet motors with 900 lb industry leading weight capacity
- One-touch flat button on the remote (factory preset memory button)
- Bluetooth speaker + sub-woofer: connects your phone to the speaker
- Microhooking mattress retention system: sticks to the mattress like Velcro and prevents the mattress from slipping/ sliding when raising the upper body
- Mattress retainer bar is also included (at the foot of the bed). But you can get rid of it, if the microhooks can successfully keep your brand of mattress in place
- Emergency power down with power failures: you won’t be stuck in the upright position if there is a power failure
- Backlit wireless remotes with 18-buttons including zero gravity (zero g; rest, relax and relief from back pains) and flat presets
- Smartphone compatible via the iOS/Android App
- Split-king beds maybe synced together or kept independent of each other, depending on your preference
- Adjustable beds are delivered preassembled; therefore, setup is quick (Free shipping)
- Eye pleasing design with quality upholstery
- White glove delivery and setup are available for all Dynasty Mattress series adjustable beds
- All size options are available on the power base: Twin XL, full, queen size, eastern king, California king, and split sizes of regular king and California size king are also available
- Lifetime Warranty on the metal base and 10 year warranty on parts, mechanical, motor, electric & labor with in-home technician visits and great customer support service
- Unmatched price point – the nearest competitor with similar specs is over $1000 more expensive compared to the DM9000s adjustable beds
Read customer reviews right here.
For a detailed explanation on how adjustable bed bases achieve these benefits, go to this page.
DM9000s Remote Controller Functions
Most Luxurious Adjustable Base – PlushBeds S755
PlushBeds have several adjustable bed models named E255, E455, M555 and S755. The S755 bed base is their high-end, luxury bed with all the premium features. It has all the features of the DM9000s and a few additional ones as well.
This is our 2nd choice only because it’s more expensive than the Dynasty Mattress bed. It has 9 of the top 10 characteristics. Similar to the DM9000s, this product also lacks elevation lift. The PlushBeds S755 also lacks the Bluetooth speaker and the sub-woofer of the DM9000 but has a remote pouch. To be quite honest your decision on buying an adjustable bed base should not be influenced by features like speakers and remote pouches.
The decisive factor is the Expensive Price tag of the S755. PlushBeds S755 adjustable beds are approx. twice as more expensive as the DM9000s bed bases. At the time of writing this, you can get the DM9000s queen adjustable base for less than $1130 whereas the S755 queen base is priced at $2400. In fact the S7500 split-king is more than twice the price of the DM9000s split-king. Tempur-pedic also has a very expensive adjustable bed named Tempur-Ergo. This Tempur-pedic adjustable bed frames cost approximately $2200 for queen sized beds and $4000 for king-sized bed frames. However, it still lacks a few specs compared to the Dynasty adjustable beds.
Major Cons: Similar Features to the DM9000s, but double the price
Prices range from $2300 – $4500 after the current discount (even after the discount, this is one of the most expensive adjustable beds in the current market)
2nd Runner-up, Premium Adjustable Bases – Amerisleep Plus
The Amerisleep Plus is one of the highest rated adjustable bed frames in the 2021 market. It doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of the DM9000s. However, it is our 2nd runner up in the list of highest rated products. This is over $1500 more expensive than the DM9000s for a split-king adjustable bed frame. Both the bed and the remote controller look very similar to those of the Leggett and Platt Prodigy 2.0 (in fact we’re pretty sure that this is the Leggett & Platt Prodigy 2.0). When you buy this from Amerisleep, you get all the benefits of the L&P Prodigy 2.0 bed and additional benefits that come from the adjustable bed company, Amerisleep.
Leggett and Platt series adjustable beds like the Prodigy 2.0 (and the S-Cape, even before that) used to dominate Bedroom Solutions’ rankings prior to 2018. It was in late 2019 that adjustable bases like the DM9000s were introduced with a better price and better specs. Obviously this product went on to become the top rated adjustable bed frame of 2021. The Amerisleep Plus lacks certain key features of the Dynasty Mattress model. Nevertheless, it is a very popular adjustable base brand given its high quality construction and upholstery finishes and the company that is behind the product. It also offers several additional specs via its Bluetooth app such as a gentle wake up alarm clock and sleep timer. In summary, if you’re one of those people that value product quality over the variety of specs on offer, the Amerisleep adjustable bed may be what you’re looking for. The company is also known for their excellent customer service.
The Amerisleep adjustable bed is inferior to the DM9000s in the following aspects:
- No Lumbar bar support
- No Furniture-style Decking
- No Bluetooth speakers
- Not a Zero-Clearance model (can’t store anything underneath the bed)
- King dimensions are not available (non-split)
- California (neither split and nor non-split models) king sizes are also not available
- ~$1500 more expensive than the DM base for a split type king sized bed
Major highlights of the Amerisleep adjustable bed plus:
- Independent Pillow Tilting
- Wall Hugger engineering (Leggett & Platt was one of the very first brands to introduce wallhugger engineering)
- Head and Feet Massagers with pulse and wave massage modes (similar to the DM bed)
- Highly-reputed manufacturer
- Probably has the best upholstery finishes of all adjustable beds
- Comes with a 25 year limited warranty
Major Cons: The expensive price tag; lesser specs compared to the leading models.
Price Range of the luxury adjustable bed bases: $1900 – $3300
Best Mid-Range Adjustable Bed frame – Layla Plus
Layla adjustable bed bases are available as two models:
- Layla Adjustable Base (the basic model) and
- The feature-rich Layla Adjustable Base Plus. This is the one that is ranked #4 on our list
When it comes to the 10 most popular specs, the Layla Plus bed has the same ones as the Amerisleep adjustable base except for pillow tilting.
Major highlights of the Layla bed frame:
- The Layla Plus comes with wall gliding (same as wallhugger engineering)
- Dual-zone massage feature with 3 different intensities and auto-shutoff timer
- Zero Gravity preset (for a well deserved rest), Anti-Snore, and Flat presets
- Under-bed LED Lighting
- 4 – 10.5″ adjustable height legs
- Alexa/Google Home Compatibility and Connects to your smartphone via Layla’s Wi-Fi App
- 30-day trial period (return policy with 100% Money Back Guarantee). Sleep trial periods are not uncommon for mattresses. However, for adjustable bed frames, sleep trials are extremely rare.
- Four USB ports for charging four devices simultaneously
- Easy setup
- Anti-sliding deck – keeps the mattress in place and prevents it from sliding off the bed (similar to the microhooking retention system on the DM9000s). Also comes with a mattress retainer bar at its foot .
- Simple and sleek remote control
- Last but not least, the product comes from the popular and highly respected brand, Layla
- If you’re looking to purchase a bed package with a mattress, Layla offers some of the best mattress models in the industry. Pair the Layla Plus with the Layla Memory Foam or Layla Hybrid mattress for a perfect sleep system.
- Some size options like split California king are not available
Prices range from $1100 – $2200
Best in the Entry-level category – GhostBed Adjustable Base
The Ghostbed adjustable base is an entry-level base with relatively few specs. The base comes with the following 3 out of the 10 most important features:
- One customizable memory position
- Head and feet massage
- Under-bed lights
Major highlights of Ghostbed adjustable beds:
- Zero Gravity setting*, TV watching, Anti-Snore, Lounge and Flat factory pre-set memory settings
- Four USB ports to charge devices like phones and headphones
- Available sizes ; Twin XL, Queen, Split King only. Cal King size of the bed (72″ wide and 84″ long) is not available.
- 15-mode head and feet massage with timer
- Easy and fast setup
* The zero g (ZG) position is well known for resting and taking the stress away from the back muscles and relieving chronic back pain (scientifically as well as based on user experiences). You deserve that rest!
Major Cons: No pillow tilting & not a wallhugger engineering
The Ghostbed adjustable base is a great option if you’re looking to purchase a non-complicated, ‘bare bones’ adjustable base. We also recommend this for any buyer that is looking for base + mattress product bundles, Ghostbed offers you plenty of options and deals.
Prices range from $900 – $1800
Best Budget-Friendly Base – Nectar
The Nectar adjustable bed frame should be your adjustable bed of choice if you’re looking for a product that is easy on your wallet. As of 2021, it is the highest quality adjustable base in the budget category. This is also the cheapest base with full body massage options. Similar to the Ghostbed, the Nectar has 3 of the 10 most in-demand features which are:
- Three programmable positions on the remote control
- Head and feet full body massage feature
- Under-bed lights
Other notable features
Nectar adjustable beds have similar features to the Ghostbed bed frames. However, the Nectar is about $300 cheaper for a queen size. Something we love about the Nectar mattress bases is the 3 programmable positions (M1, M2 and M3 on the wireless remote) and the 4 preset memory positions (TV, zero gravity, anti-snore and flat) that it comes with. Generally, such a lot of memory buttons are a rarity for an entry-level adjustable bed frame in this price bracket.
The Nectar adjustable bed frame is available in Full size, Twin XL, Queen, Split and Standard King sizes. California king size adjustable beds are not available. Similar to most other brands, if you’re buying a split version, you will be getting two wireless remotes with them. It comes with a USB port (2 on each side of the bed) If you’re looking to buy a frame and mattress, the manufacturer has plenty of compatible Nectar mattresses to choose from. In other words, if you’re shopping for a low-cost sleep system, seriously consider pairing the Nectar base with the Nectar Memory Foam mattress or the Nectar Lush mattress.
Like for many adjustable electric beds, the 365-night trial period mentioned on their website is for the Nectar mattress and not the power base. However, they offer a 50 day refund period. According to the Nectar website, “if you are not 100% satisfied, you can return your adjustable frame for a full refund up to 50 days after your purchase“. So it really is risk free and you have nothing to lose with the Nectar bed. Even though Nectar doesn’t call it so, it’s almost like a 50 day trial period to try their base. This is probably the best return policy for an entry level adjustable bed base we have seen.
In summary, the Nectar is one of the best economical adjustable beds of 2021 and you should grab it with both hands if it is still on sale.
Recommended for Seniors
Given the cheap prices the Nectar adjustable bed is a great choice for seniors and elders. Another thing to consider here is the easy set-up; this is important because assistance for setting up these things may cost hundreds of dollars nowadays.
Major Cons: Nectar adjustable beds lack pillow tilting and wall hugging; but for a less expensive bed base of this nature, customers should not expect those premium features.
Prices range from $650 – $1300 (after the massive discount). This is the best price we’ve seen.
Popular Brand – Purple Powerbase
This is most likely the Reverie 5D adjustable base rebranded as Purple. The website of Purple powerbase clearly states that Reverie manufactures the adjustable base. This is not uncommon in the mattress/ bed industry. If you do some research on certain adjustable bed companies and their products, you will unearth many such links. In fact, this is common among mattress companies as well. However, as long as the distributor discloses such links to their customers, it’s really not a big deal. This is only one such link. The Purple motorized bed base is equipped with 4 of our top 10 specs.
- Four programmable memory positions
- Full body massagers
- Adjustable height legs
- Under-bed night lighting
Major Cons: Too expensive for the basic features available. Has only head and feet articulation. No pillow tilting.
Base Price Range (without mattress): $1400 – $2800
Available sizes are same as for Nectar except that Full size of the bed is not available. Free white glove delivery is included when you buy through the official website Purple.com. Since Purple offers many foam mattresses, you can pair the Purple powerbase with one of them to come up with entire sleep systems. This is one of the best picks for customers looking for a thick-profiled base.
Most Affordable Adjustable Bed – Bed In A Box
The Motion in A Box from ‘Bed in A Box’ may have only 2 of the 10 elite features (two customizable memory positions and under-bed lighting). However, this mattress base offers great quality and value for the price. The Bed in A box bed bases are very popular given its relatively cheap pricing structure.
While it is highly recommended for the budget conscious customers, keep in mind that this mattress base lacks the following most recommended features:
- No pillow tilting
- No wallhugger engineering
Prices range from $600 – $1200
If you want to purchase a low profile design (base is thin compared to others like the Purple or the Nectar), the Motion-in-a-Box is one of the best entry-level adjustable beds of 2021. This is also the best price you can get on a twin XL size. This product is probably the best choice if you’re shopping for a low-profile and light weight adjustable bed. The low-profile also make this adjustable bed suitable for seniors. The light-weight as well as easy assembly make it easy to handle and maneuver by the elderly as well as anyone else.
Adjustable Base with Aluminum Frame – Bear
Bear is a very good mid-range adjustable model from a trusted brand name. This base has the following 4 features out of the top 10:
- Wall hugger bed
- The bed base comes with two programmable memory settings
- Under-bed lighting
- Storage-bed compatibility
Only Queen, King and Split-King size adjustable bed frames are available. The aluminum structure makes it pretty lightweight compared to a solid metal structure. Therefore, this can be highly recommended for seniors looking to purchase an adjustable bed.
Base Price range: $1500 – $2200
CONS: This product is not cheap for the features offered
Best Sectional Foundation – Yaasa Adjustable Bed
Yaasa Studios bed base is very similar to the Bear power bed. The Yaasa adjustable bed too has an aluminum/ metal chassis and 4 wood-finish planks placed on it. The major difference is that the Yaasa base is more expensive than Bear’s adjustable beds. The Yaasa adjustable bed base has a beautiful white while the Bear is black in color. Personally, I find the white prettier, but when you put the mattress on, nobody know what color it was underneath.
The major pros and cons of the Yaasa adjustable base are as follows:
- Wall hugger base
- Two customizable memory positions
- Storage-bed compatibility
- Two USB ports (one on each side of the bed; charge up to two devices at the same time)
Prices range from $1700 – $3200
CONS: The product is too pricey for the features available.
- Available sizes: Twin XL, Queen, King and Split versions
- Trial Period: None for the base. The 100 night trial period mentioned on the Yaasa website is for customers that purchase Yaasa mattresses.
- Yaasa White Glove Service available for $199 (free white glove delivery is hard to come by in this industry)
- It is one of the best picks for anyone that likes the white color and the aluminum mounting
Best Mattress Type for Reclining Beds
Now you know how to choose an adjustable bed. How about the accessories? Are there any must-have accessories to make your adjustable bed comfortable and effective at what it does? As you know, even the best rated adjustable beds cannot give you the rest you deserve without the right type of mattress to complement it. If you already have a mattress, you may want to keep using it. However, if you need to purchase a new mattress, we highly recommend you get a proper mattress education before you buy one. This is not necessarily an adjustable mattress review; however, for purposes of completion, we will talk about them very briefly.
Out of the many mattress types made of memory foam, latex, innerspring, water and air; latex, memory foam and air mattresses are considered the best mattresses for adjustable type of beds. As you can imagine, in a water bed, all the water would flow to the bottom/foot, when raising the upper body in a water mattress. Conventional innerspring mattresses have rigid coil systems which cannot withstand the constant flexion and extension of the base. The best adjustable mattress you can purchase is one that is flexible and quickly returns to the normal state after the bed base returns to the flat position. Hybrid mattresses where coil springs have been individually wrapped also work. Unlike on innerspring mattresses, the coil springs are independent of each other on these modern spring mattresses.
Adjustable air beds from mattress companies like Sleep Number have the additional advantage of having different firmness levels according to the sleeper’s comfort preferences. Not only do these allow for different firmness options between the two sides but also on different regions of the same mattress. The comfort and support afforded by these are difficult to match (beware that they don’t come cheap though).
Your sleeping position is also something you need to consider before deciding on the mattress firmness level. A soft or plush mattress suits side sleepers best while a medium-firm mattress suits back sleepers best. The best firmness level for stomach sleepers is medium-firm to firm. However, there’s no denying that we all love to sleep on a plush mattress that sleeps cool.
As there is a wide range of memory foam and latex mattress brands, we won’t go into the exact models. We have other articles about best mattress brands. However, now that you know which mattress type suits best, we’re confident that you will make the right decision with the brand and model when you’re shopping for your new adjustable mattress. We can recommend Amerisleep, Layla, Loom & Leaf from Saatva, and DynastyMattress memory foam mattresses. Some of these top rated adjustable mattresses are manufactured by companies which also sell adjustable beds.
Even if you already have a mattress, if it isn’t one of the types we’ve explained above, you may want to purchase a new mattress. For any new bed adjustable or not, a new mattress can make a huge difference. Remember, there’s nothing like a good night’s sleep that can boost your energy levels the following day!
A word about white glove services for mattresses: with an electric bed frame, a white glove service with setup can be very important because the bed frames typically weigh over 100 pounds making it over 200 lbs for a split base. Carrying such a base upstairs and setting it up can be a daunting task to most buyers. However, with mattresses, this is not so critical because there is literally no ‘set up’. White glove services will typically include in-home delivery, unpacking/unboxing of the new mattress, disposal of packaging material, and removal of the old mattress. However, remember that these services usually cost extra. Although free shipping is not uncommon, free white glove delivery is almost unheard of. Free shipping typically is curb-side delivery and does not include in-home delivery.
Why Trust our Product Reviews?
Because of the dozens of unsolicited testimonials we have received from our readers and buyers (you can see all of them at the bottom of the article on the comments section)
Vincent Corso Jr
“I am a 65 year old with back issues… Your video and knowledge has been instrumental in my decision … Your site was extremely appreciated and your professionalism impeccable”
“Love your site – I have learned so much about the features of adjustable beds. We are in our mid-70’s and with advancing medical issues (sleep apnea, heartburn, aching joints) … Thank you so very much!”
“I loved reading your online reviews, the website is incredibly useful and full of information. … I thought if anybody would have an answer it would be y’all. Thanks in advance!!”
Price Range of Adjustable Beds
What decides price?
- Size – typically the price goes up from Twin XL to Full size to Queen size to King to Cal King to Split King
- Brand / Manufacturer
- Specs on offer – the most basic adjustable beds with head tilt and foot tilt and a wired remote are the cheapest.
- Whether adjustable mattress included or not
- Warranty coverage and period
- Whether a white glove service is included or not
Before diving into buying an adjustable mattress base, many people would want to find out about the adjustable bed costs. This is important whether you’re buying it for the spouse (husband, wife or significant other), daughter, son or a couple. The cheapest and most basic adjustable beds start at little as $400 for a Twin XL base. Such models will cost about $600 for a Queen size and $800 for a King size. Some examples for such beds are Bed In A Box, Lucid L100, Lucid L300, Blissfulnights, Classic Brands etc. However, you will notice that most of those names didn’t make it to our 10-best list because they lacked certain features we were looking for.
Fancier adjustable beds with modern functions can cost up to $1000 for a Twin XL, $1250-1500 for a Queen size and $1750 upwards for a Split type King base. The most expensive movable bed options in the market are the Sleep Number FlexFit 3 and the Tempur-pedic Tempur Ergo Extend that costs approximately $4000 for a split king bed frame (excluding mattresses). There are two cheaper Tempur-pedic bases by the names of Tempurpedic Tempur-Ergo Power Base and Tempurpedic Tempur-Ergo Smart Base. The Tempur-Ergo Smart bed has sleep tracker technology that tracks your sleeping behavior via an app.
Hospital bed type of adjustable beds are also pretty expensive in the 2021 market. Premium hospital bed brands (e.g. Hopeful, Wert, Invacare) with built-in side rails can easily cost upwards of $3,000 for a Twin XL size. You won’t get queen size or split versions for these hospital beds as they are almost exclusively used by single patients. Please note that these are not meant for exclusive use at hospitals. In additions to hospitals, they can be used at residences as well where there are seniors or other patients with mobility issues. Fortunately, these maybe covered by medicare through Medicare Part B.
Most of today’s retailers offer great deals on both adjustable beds and mattresses especially on credit card payments. This is a great relief for consumers not prepared to spend the entire cost out of their pockets in full. Also take a close look at the different warranties offered by different retailers. Some offer warranties as long as 25 years, but such warranties give a very limited and pro-rated coverage.
A word of caution on price
Just because certain bed frames are expensive, that doesn’t mean that they are feature-rich adjustable bases. For example, the Yaasa adjustable bed is relatively pricey, yet has relatively few specs. Always check if the adjustable bed models have features like zero gravity, massage settings, USB ports, and supports different sleeping positions. Certain adjustable bed companies have products with massage functions and wireless remote but no foot tilting. Without foot tilting you can’t get certain sleeping positions. However, some adjustable bed companies have made sure that any sleep position can be adopted with their beds. Some retailers have partners in popular mattress manufacturers and together make entire sleep systems available. Most leading adjustable bed models have sleep systems which are essentially a base and mattress combo. Beds with a sleep system (e.g. mattress) sometimes can cost less than buying the base and mattress separately. White glove services including delivery and setup usually costs an additional $100-200.
Some retailers market their beds as a treatment option for chronic back pain. You should always consult a doctor to find out if your back pain can be fixed by an adjustable bed or not. Further, when you’re searching for online bed reviews, you should always check if they use a reasonable rating system or not. Some reviewers simply give a ranking without a justifiable system. Before you decide that a particular adjustable bed brand is your best option, remember to check their phone number so that you can contact them in case any technical issue comes up.
If you’re shopping for a split-queen or king, don’t forget to check for the “link” between the two twin-XL beds. Usually a USB or other cable will link the two bases together so that the two beds can be operated with a single wireless remote. If you’re not sure about how to connect the two bases, always call the company using the phone number. In fact calling them might be an excellent way to get an idea about their customer service too.
Shoppers sometimes make purchasing decisions entirely based on the price. Some of the cheap adjustable beds in the 2021 marketplace have very poor warranties. Therefore we request buyers to compare the different warranties offered by various companies when shopping for your dream bed.
Adjustable Mattress Prices
Just like with adjustable bed models, most people have to think of the price factor before buying an adjustable mattress. They can cost as little as $300 for a memory foam mattress or as much as $2000 upwards for a latex foam king mattress in the 2021 mattress market. Adjustable air mattress brands (e.g. adjustable firmness air beds by Sleep Number) are also usually expensive. Obviously, split mattresses are more expensive than a queen mattress. No one wants to pay for shipping these days and thankfully, most models come with free shipping and extended periods of money back warranty these days. Some even come with free return shipping whereas with others you only have to pay return shipping or a re-stocking fee. It is also important to think of sleep hygiene and the durability of a mattress. Some brands are cheap and less durable while others are more expensive yet have a high durability due to the high quality materials that have been used to manufacture it. Whether you’re shopping online or at your local mattress stores / outlets / showrooms, this is something you really ought to pay attention to.
10 Benefits of Adjustable Bed Frames
You can enjoy the following sleep, lifestyle and health benefits from using an adjustable bed.
- Rest, watch television, read, knit, write, work on your laptop etc. from the comfort of your bed
- Improves sleep quality and sleep experience in most people (including during pregnancy and recovering after surgeries). Can even help fix insomnia in some.
- Alleviates pains (relieves joint, arthritis, sciatica, hips, and back pains and pressure on pressure points) and aligns the spine improving mobility
- The different positions of adjustable beds can help fight breathing difficulties and alleviates sleep disorders like sleep apnea. You can expect an improvement on the sleep apnea symptoms; however, it’s best to speak to doctors that specialize on the subject (may not be able to fix asthma though).
- Stops snoring
- Reduces swelling (edema) of legs, ankles, and feet due to anomalies of blood pressure and eventually improves mobility – the zero gravity setting works great for some people
- Adjustable beds can combat heartburn (GERD)
- Alleviates symptoms of Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) and gives your legs a proper rest. You can raise the foot section up to an angle of 45 degrees to rest your legs.
- Improves digestion in users
- More independence for couples (with a split-queen and king bases)
For a detailed explanation on how adjustable bases achieve these benefits, go to this page. Kindly note that the above list of health benefits has been published for informational purposes and that we strongly encourage readers to talk to your doctor / doctors regarding specific medical advice.
FAQ – Continued…
User Comments and Questions
Please share your questions or suggestions about our reviews on adjustable beds. Thank you!