10 Best Adjustable Beds of 2021
80+ Adjustable Bases, 33 Specs and 1200+ Consumer Reviews Analyzed
So you want to know what the best rated adjustable bed of 2021 is. Before we go there, let us go through some of the basics of modern adjustable beds of 2021. Adjustable beds are mattress bases whose upper and lower sections can be adjusted according to the sleeper’s preferences. They were first introduced as hospital beds during the early 1900s. However today, adjustable beds have become an indispensable part of the bedroom owing to their various lifestyle and health benefits.
Modern adjustable bed frames have been improved immensely to include fancy features like pillow tilting, lumbar support, programmable memory positions, massage, zero-gravity, under-bed lighting and even sleep tracking technologies.
If you want to improve your sleep with an adjustable base and mattress, look no further as our 10 best adjustable beds have been carefully selected based on a scientific ranking and review process.
Here’s what we analyzed to find the best brands and models of adjustable beds.
- 80+ Adjustable bases
- 33 Adjustable base specs
- 1200+ Consumer reviews
- Manufacturer Reputation
- Warranty Terms and Coverage Periods
- Real Value for the Price
Here are the top adjustable beds we discovered after our scientific analysis and review process.
Best Adjustable Beds of 2021
Best Overall & Best Affordable Adjustable Bases
We have reviewed and compared the top 10 best bases. However, depending on your specific needs, you will most likely buy one of the following two adjustable beds:
#1 DM9000s is the overall best adjustable bed. If you’re looking for an adjustable base with advanced functions, you won’t find anything comparable to this for specs, looks, price and warranty. If you find a comparable base, please let us know so that we can replace this listing 🙂
#2 Nectar is the best in the budget-friendly category of adjustable beds. If all you need is a mid-range, durable, affordable adjustable bed frame, nothing beats the Nectar adjustable base. The value/ features on offer for the price is unmatched in the budget-friendly/ mid-range category of adjustable beds.
The Overall Best Adjustable Base – DM9000s
Who is it best for?
- Those who will use their beds for reading, watching TV and working on computers (pillow tilt helps avoid neck and back sprains)
- Individuals that need extra back support or those with lower back pains (lumbar support feature)
- Those who use the nightstand from their beds (wall hugging keeps you close to the nightstand and saves your neck/ back from sprains)
- Those who (or whose partners) snore (simply elevate the head 5 – 8 degrees with pillow tilting)
- Those who want advanced massage features like pulse and wave massage with auto-shutoff timer
- Individuals that visit the bathroom at night (under-bed lighting)
- Individuals with certain types of breathing difficulties, sleep apnea, mobility issues, insomnia, recovering from surgeries, joint pains, arthritis, RLS, feet swelling, heartburn etc. etc.
- Those with unique bed-height preferences (adjustable height legs can help with this)
- People that want an easy-to-assemble adjustable base
- Especially recommended for seniors given the many senior-friendly specs
Adjustable bed highlights
- It is the most feature-rich adjustable bed in the 2021 marketplace. The only other adjustable base with similar specs is roughly double the price
- It is equipped with 9 of the top 10 adjustable bed specs
- Best value for money – it is only half the price of beds with comparable specs. It is more economically priced than many mid-range adjustable bed frames (July Update: Up to $400 off Discount through this link) August Update: Take an additional $100 off with coupon code “dynastybed” on the checkout page (total $500 off on a split-king)
- Unbeatable warranty – Lifetime warranty on the metal frame and 10-year warranty on parts, mechanical, motor, electric & labor with in-home technician visits ($0 deductible parts)
- Check out the interactive review image above
The above INTERACTIVE IMAGE will tell you everything you need to know about our #1 ranked Dynasty Mattress DM9000s. Take the cursor (or your finger) to each text label for an explanation on the relevant feature.
$400 off Summer SALE Going on Now
SAVE an Additional $100 using the coupon code dynastybed on the checkout page
Best Mid-Range Adjustable Bed – Nectar
The Nectar has all the basic specs plus features like massage, programmable memory, one-touch zero-gravity position etc. It comes from the highly reputed company Nectar, and can be bundled with the popular Nectar mattresses.
Who is it best for?
- Those who want to buy a low-cost, high-quality adjustable bed with basic functionalities (head & foot tilt alone have many benefits)
- Those who want a relaxing and soothing massage at the end of a long day
- Sleepers recovering from surgeries or with mobility issues, joint pains and arthritic pains
- Those with certain types of insomnia, sleep apnea or breathing difficulties
- People with swollen feet and RLS
- Those who wish for an easy-setup bed
- Recommended for seniors especially given the affordable price
Nectar bed highlights
- Note that we said the Nectar is the BEST budget-friendly adjustable base. We didn’t say it is the MOST budget-friendly bed. There are cheaper ones, but we don’t recommend them. We strongly recommend that you stay away from cheap adjustable bases that aren’t durable.
- It has 2 of the top 10 adjustable bed specs (massage and programmable memory)
- The Nectar base is not as feature-rich as the DM9000s. However, not all of us need advanced specs like lumbar support, pillow tilting, wall hugging etc..
- It is currently on SALE.
10 Best Adjustable Bed Brands
These two tables give an overview of the PROS and CONS of (1) Premium, (2) Mid-Range and (3) Budget-Friendly Adjustable Bed Frames (scroll down for detailed reviews of our 10 best adjustable beds).
If you’re on a Mobile Phone, please flip it to Landscape orientation to view the mega comparison.
Scroll DOWN and to the LEFT to see specs of all 10 bases.
The 1st table compares the MOST IMPORTANT features of the highest rated adjustable beds.
The table below compares the relatively minor, yet pretty important features of the 10 adjustable beds.
Disclaimer: Our adjustable bed experts and editors have triple checked the content on this guide to make sure that it paints an accurate picture of your dream bed in your mind. But our team of editors and reviewers are regular human beings that can make mistakes just like you and I. This is why we think it’s best that you go online and cross-check all our content against the relevant product pages. Also note that although product testing has been done on a few models, it is not possible to do product testing for all 80+ models we have reviewed here. Kindly note that our ratings and buyer guides are for informational purposes only and that we encourage you to consult your doctor or a suitable medical expert regarding the suitability of motion beds for your medical conditions.
Best Adjustable Bed Frame Reviews
Below, we provide product reviews for each of our top 10 adjustable beds in great detail. Please spend enough time on each movable bed and mattress to understand the differences of physical specs as well as their manufacturing companies, trial periods, 3 – 10 year limited warranty periods, available sizes, online availability, cost of white glove delivery, consumer satisfaction, customer service, various buttons on the wireless remote controllers, ease of setup, ability to fit a headboard, pricing structure etc. These adjustable bed frame reviews are very unique and unbiased. We hope you make maximum use of them to better your sleep and your overall quality of life. We assure you that you won’t find such detailed and technical descriptions anywhere else online.
Best Adjustable Bed of 2021 – DM9000s Adjustable Bed
27 Pros & 3 Cons of the #1 Ranked Overall Best Adjustable Base
The DM9000s gets our highest recommendation because it is the most-feature rich and best-value adjustable frame you will find in the current market. It is a unique base because it has all the major features you can expect to find in a premium adjustable bed. We sleep nearly 1/3rd of our lives; that’s why the DM9000s should be your number one choice. You shouldn’t settle for anything less than the highest quality recliner bed and mattress you can get your hands around.
DM9000s Adjustable Bed has 9 of the Top 10 Features
(First 3 are MUST-HAVE specs)
- Independent Pillow tilting – head/ chest tilting can straighten you up to a maximum of 60 degrees. This doesn’t straighten your back enough for watching television, reading, working etc. Pillow tilting can incline you an additional 30 degrees providing better neck and back support during reading, TV watching, knitting, email checking etc. No more stacking pillows to keep your head straight. This one is a mandatory feature if you do any of the above tasks on your bed. Also helps to stop snoring by elevating your head by a few degrees; a very useful feature for seniors.
- Wall hugging – ordinary adjustable beds moves you forward and away from the wall/ headboard when the head section is raised. This movement basically puts the nightstand out of reach. If you wanted to reach something on the nightstand, you’ll have to reach back awkwardly, potentially straining your neck and back. The DM9000s has a premium feature called wallhugger engineering which makes the bed base slide back while it inclines and ensures that you stay adjacent to the nightstand at all times. This feature is a must have feature if you are a senior citizen or if you use your bed-side-table regularly. This is the one feature you will need if you use your nightstand/ bed-side-table often.
- FOUR Memory Positions – adjustable beds typically have preset and programmable memory placements. Presets, as the name says, are preset. You can’t change them even if you don’t like ’em. But programmable positions are customizable. The zero-gravity and Memory A & B buttons on the wireless remote of the DM9000s are customizable. Therefore, these buttons allow you to program and recall your favorite positions with a single click. In addition, there is also a one-touch flat preset button which allows you to flatten the bed from whatever position you were in previously. Whatever brand you end up buying, make sure it has at least one programmable memory button.
- Lumbar support – another rare feature which can help relieve certain types of lower back pains including tired/ aching lower back muscles. This one is adjustable; hence you can control the lumbar pressure applied on the lower back region using the ‘Lumbar Up’ and ‘Lumbar Down’ buttons.
- Head and Foot massage function with timer (automatically turn off massage in 10, 20 or 30 minutes), speed control buttons, 3 different intensity levels, pulse and rolling-wave feature.
- Platform bed/ storage bed-friendly (zero-clearance adjustable bed). Over 90% of the models have mechanical components sticking underneath the adjustable foundation preventing you from using it with a storage or platform bed. But the DM9000s is specially designed to ensure that nothing sticks underneath the bed.
- Height adjustable legs – the 6 legs can be adjusted from 6 – 10 inches (at one inch increments) so that the top of the bed base can be as short as 14″ or as tall as 18″ (you need to add the mattress height to get the total height of the bed). Want it even shorter? Take out the legs completely and place the base on the floor and it will be only 8″ from the floor.
- Under-bed LED lighting so that your night-time trips to the bathroom can be lit up without disturbing your partner
- Upholstered, furniture-style decking for great looks (hides the ‘ugly’ metal components if you wish to use it as a standalone bed, without a wooden frame).
The one and only top 10 feature it lacks is Elevation Lift. This feature is an optional one for sleepers with severe heartburn (acid reflux). You can still successfully combat it, even without elevation lift, by raising the upper body five to eight degrees using head tilt or pillow tilt.
18 BONUS specs of the DM9000s base
- Economically priced: the nearest competitor with similar specs is over $2000 more expensive (for a split-king) compared to the DM9000s adjustable beds
- Extended 10-Year Warranty on parts, mechanical, motor, electric & labor with in-home technician visits and great customer support service ($0 deductible parts).
- Lifetime Warranty on its metal frame.
- Microhooking mattress retention system – sticks to the mattress like Velcro and prevents the mattress from slipping/ sliding when raising the upper body. (Our #1 recommended 365-day Home Trial best adjustable mattress comes with an 12-month home trial & forever warranty. )
- Mattress retainer bar is also included (at the foot of the bed). But you can get rid of it, if the microhooks can successfully keep your brand of mattress in place
- Quiet motors with 900 lb industry leading weight lifting capacity
- Emergency power down with power failures: you won’t be stuck in the upright position if there is a power failure
- Backlit 18-button wireless remote – some remote controllers are NOT backlit making you search for buttons in the dark at night.
- One-touch zero gravity (zero g; rest, relax and relief from back pains) and flat preset buttons so that you can go to those positions with the single click of a button
- Smartphone compatible via the iOS/ Android App
- Split-king beds maybe synced together or kept independent of each other, depending on your preference
- Adjustable beds are delivered assembled; therefore, setup is quick
- Free shipping
- Eye pleasing design with high-quality upholstery – on many low-quality bases, you will see that the cloth wrinkles when the bed moves, but not on the DM9000s
- White glove delivery and setup are available (at an additional price) for all Dynasty Mattress adjustable beds
- All size options are available on the power base: Twin XL, full, queen size, eastern king, California king, and split sizes of regular king and California size king are also available
- The DM9000s has 4 USB Ports (2 on each side of the bed) for charging devices like smartphones, tablet computers etc.
- Bluetooth speakers and sub-woofer – pair your phone to the speaker and listen to music while you fall asleep
August UPDATE : Up to $400 off Sale
3 Cons of the DM9000s adjustable frame
We failed to find any noteworthy drawbacks/ limitations except for the following three:
- It lacks ‘Elevation Lift’ which is one of the features recommended for sleepers with severe acid reflux. You can still raise the head about five degrees on the DM9000s and that works very well to combat GERD / acid reflux
- Lacks a ‘Remote Pouch’ – Not a deal breaker by any means. The PlushBeds S755 has a side pouch to hold the wireless remote controller.
- Over the years, we’ve seen that this model goes out of stock online regularly. May be they can’t keep up with the demand (just guessing). Consider yourself lucky if the size you want is in-stock when you’re reading this.
Read customer reviews on the DM9000s right here
DM9000s Remote Controller Functions
Best Mid-Range Adjustable Bed of 2021 – Nectar Adjustable Bed
The Nectar adjustable bed frame should be your adjustable bed of choice if you need a product that is easy on your wallet. As of 2021, it is the highest quality adjustable base in the budget category. This is also the cheapest base with full body massage options. Most adjustable beds in this price range don’t have in-built massage motors. The Nectar is popular because of the following features:
20 Reasons to buy the Nectar adjustable bed
- Best value for money – unmatched price for the features offered
- 50-night trial period with free returns / full refund – this is a best in the industry, matched by no other adjustable bed manufacturer to our knowledge
- Infinite head and foot tilting positions
- Three programmable positions on the wireless remote control – M1, M2 and M3 buttons
- Four preset memory positions – Zero gravity preset, TV, anti-snore and flat
- Head and feet full body massage feature
- 3 zones – head, foot or head & foot
- 3 speeds
- 3 modes – regular, pulse or wave massage
- 3 timer options – auto shut-off in 10, 20 or 30 minutes
- Such advanced massage features are usually seen only in high-end adjustable beds
- Four USB ports – two on each side
- Backlit, 16-button, wireless remote controller – you won’t be left clueless in the dark
- Height-adjustable legs – choose either 4″ or 6.5″ legs or put them together to give 10.5 inches. You need to add 4 inches to the leg height (the thickness of the frame) to get the actual height of the bed.
- Flashlight on the remote
- Mattress retention bar at the foot of the bed base
- Emergency power down – the bed can go down to the flat position in case of power outage
- Syncing (synchronizing) – two twin XL bases can be synced and controlled with a single remote in case of split-king adjustable beds
- Industry leading 1000 lb weight-lifting capacity
- Storage space underneath the bed – the Nectar is not a zero-clearance bed. However, when you’re using the 10.5″ leg height, you get at least 6.5″ storage space underneath the bed (the mechanics/ hydraulic arms need 3-3.5″ to operate)
- Three-year warranty
- Easy assembly – shipped mostly pre-assembled. You just need to screw in the legs and attach the motors, control box etc. Can take 20 – 45 minutes from unboxing to operation
- Available in Full size, Twin XL, Queen, Split and Standard King sizes. California king size adjustable beds are not available.
- Many compatible adjustable mattress options (Nectar Memory Foam or Nectar Premier) to choose from
- Monthly Payments – 0% APR financing options available
FREE SHIPPING within 3 – 5 Business Days and No Contact Delivery
Up to $498 worth accessories FREE when you bundle with a mattress
Cons of the Nectar Adjustable Bed Frame
- Lacks advanced specs like pillow tilting, wall hugging and lumbar support – sure, these can be useful features; but the VAST majority of us don’t need them. If you can spare the additional $1800 – $3200, by all means go for it.
- Lacks under-bed lighting – would have been nice if the Nectar had it. But hey, there are all these touch-sensitive and motion-sensing bed-side lamps, night lights etc. etc. which can make up for it. Alternatively, you can even use the flashlight on the Nectar remote
- No smartphone App to control the bed – again, an advanced feature you cannot expect at this price. Besides, many of these apps have bugs and have poor consumer ratings.
The Nectar adjustable bed frame is Similar to most other brands, if you’re buying a split version, you will be getting two wireless remotes with them. However, you can sync them together so that a single remote can operate both sides. If you need to buy both the frame and mattress, in other words, if you’re shopping for a low-cost sleep system, seriously consider buying the Nectar Memory Foam mattress or the Nectar Lush mattress.
The 365-night trial period mentioned on their website is for the Nectar mattress and not the power base. However, they offer a 50 day refund period. According to the Nectar website, “if you are not 100% satisfied, you can return your adjustable frame for a full refund up to 50 days after your purchase“. So it really is risk free and you have nothing to lose with the Nectar bed. Even though Nectar doesn’t call it so, it’s almost like a 50 day trial period to try their base. This is probably the best return policy for any electric adjustable bed base we have seen. Most adjustable beds in the market are non-refundable.
In summary, the Nectar is the best value adjustable bed of 2021 and you should grab it with both hands if it is still on sale.
Recommended for Seniors
Given the cheap prices, the Nectar adjustable bed is a great choice for seniors and elders. Another thing to consider here is the easy set-up. If you had to pay for set-up, we might be talking about hundreds of dollars nowadays.
Prices range from $650 – $1300 (after the massive discount). This is the best price we’ve seen.
Read customer reviews on the Nectar adjustable bases and mattresses right here
Best Luxury Adjustable Bed – PlushBeds S755
PlushBeds have several adjustable bed models named E255, E455, M555 and S755. The S755 bed base is their high-end, luxury bed with all the premium features. It has all the features of the DM9000s and a few additional ones as well.
This is our 2nd choice only because it costs almost twice as much as the Dynasty Mattress bed. It has 9 of the top 10 characteristics. Similar to the DM9000s, this product also lacks elevation lift. The PlushBeds S755 also lacks the Bluetooth speaker and the sub-woofer of the DM9000 but has a remote pouch. To be quite honest your decision on buying an adjustable bed base should not be influenced by features like speakers and remote pouches.
S755 Adjustable Bed Price
The decisive factor is the high price tag of the S755. PlushBeds S755 adjustable beds are approx. twice as more expensive as the DM9000s bed bases. At the time of writing this, you can get the DM9000s queen adjustable base for less than $1130 whereas the S755 queen base is priced at $2400. However, if you’re willing to spend the extra cash, we have no hesitation in recommending this bed. Tempur-pedic also has a big-budget adjustable bed named Tempur-Ergo. This Tempur-pedic adjustable bed frames cost approximately $2200 for queen sized beds and $4000 for king-sized bed frames. However, it still lacks a few specs compared to the Dynasty adjustable beds.
Major Cons: Similar Features to the DM9000s, but double the price
Prices range from $2300 – $4500 after the current discount (even after the discount, this is one of the priciest adjustable beds in the current market)
Premium Runner-up – Amerisleep Plus Adjustable Bed
The Amerisleep Plus is one of the highest rated adjustable bed frames in the 2021 market. It doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of the DM9000s. However, it is our 2nd runner up in the list of highest rated products. This costs approximately $1500 more than the DM9000s for a split-king adjustable bed frame. Both the bed and the remote controller look very similar to those of the Leggett and Platt Prodigy 2.0 (in fact we’re pretty sure that this is the Leggett & Platt Prodigy 2.0). When you buy this from Amerisleep, you get all the benefits of the L&P Prodigy 2.0 bed and additional benefits that come from the adjustable bed company, Amerisleep.
Leggett and Platt series adjustable beds like the Prodigy 2.0 (Prodigy Comfort Elite, the S-Cape, even before that) used to dominate Bedroom Solutions’ rankings prior to 2018. It was in late 2019 that adjustable bases like the DM9000s were introduced with a better price and better specs. Obviously this product went on to become the top rated adjustable bed frame of 2021. The Amerisleep adjustable bed plus lacks certain key features of the Dynasty Mattress model. Nevertheless, it is a very popular adjustable base brand given its high quality construction and upholstery finishes and the company that is behind the product. It also offers several additional specs via its Bluetooth app such as a gentle wake up alarm clock and sleep timer. In summary, if you value product quality over the variety of specs on offer, the Amerisleep adjustable bed+ is what you need. The company is also known for their excellent customer service.
The Amerisleep adjustable bed is inferior to the DM9000s in the following aspects:
- No Lumbar bar support
- No Furniture-style Decking
- No Bluetooth speakers
- Not a Zero-Clearance model (can’t store anything underneath the bed)
- King dimensions are not available (non-split)
- California (neither split and nor non-split models) king sizes are also not available
- ~$1500 more expensive than the DM base for a split type king sized bed
Major highlights of the Amerisleep adjustable bed plus:
- Independent Pillow Tilting
- Wall Hugger engineering (Leggett & Platt was one of the very first brands to introduce wallhugger engineering)
- Head and Feet Massagers with pulse and wave massage modes (similar to the DM bed)
- Highly-reputed manufacturer
- Probably has the best upholstery finishes of all adjustable beds
- Comes with a 25 year limited warranty
Major Cons: The expensive price tag; lesser specs compared to the leading models.
Price Range of the luxury adjustable bed bases: $1900 – $3300
We have a detailed review of the Amerisleep Plus adjustable bed elsewhere.
Mid-Range Adjustable Bed frame 1st Runner-up – Layla Plus
Layla adjustable bed bases are available as two models:
- Layla Adjustable Base (the basic model) and
- The feature-rich Layla Adjustable Base Plus. This is the one that is ranked #4 on our list
When it comes to the 10 most popular specs, the Layla Plus bed has the same ones as the Amerisleep adjustable base except for pillow tilting.
Major highlights of the Layla bed frame:
- The Layla Plus comes with wall gliding (same as wallhugger engineering)
- Dual-zone massage feature with 3 different intensities and auto-shutoff timer
- Zero Gravity preset (for a well deserved rest), Anti-Snore, and Flat presets
- Under-bed LED Lighting
- 4 – 10.5″ adjustable height legs
- Alexa/Google Home Compatibility and connects to your smartphone via Layla’s Wi-Fi App
- 30-day trial period (return policy with 100% Money Back Guarantee). Sleep trial periods are not uncommon for mattresses. However, for adjustable bed frames, sleep trials are extremely rare.
- Four USB ports for charging four devices simultaneously
- Easy setup
- Anti-sliding deck – keeps the mattress in place and prevents it from sliding off the bed (similar to the microhooking retention system on the DM9000s). Also comes with a mattress retainer bar at its foot .
- Simple and sleek remote control
- Last but not least, the product comes from the popular and highly respected brand, Layla
- If you’re considering purchasing a bed package with a mattress, Layla offers some of the best mattress models in the industry. Pair the Layla Plus with the Layla Memory Foam or Layla Hybrid mattress for a perfect sleep system.
- Some size options like split California king are not available
Prices range from $1100 – $2200
America’s Cheapest Adjustable Bed – IdleSleep
The queen size starts at just over $500 and that is one hell of a deal. However, note that the IdleSleep only has Head tilting. There is no foot tilting. In fact, it doesn’t have any of our top 10 specs, as simple as a bed can get. Even the remote controller has only two buttons. You can’t ask for anything simpler than this.
All sizes are available except for California King. Even full size of the bed is available. Usually, bed frames that are this cheap don’t come with a warranty; but the IdleSleep comes with a 2-year warranty. You really can’t ask for more. Remember, this won’t work if you want to raise your feet for a condition like restless leg syndrome or leg swelling.
Major Cons: It is a very basic base at an unbelievably inexpensive price point. At this price, there really are no cons.
Base Price Range (without mattress): $454 – $768
Other Popular Adjustable Bed Brands
Highest Rated Low-profile Model – Bed In A Box
The Motion in A Box from ‘Bed in A Box’ may have only 2 of the 10 elite features (two customizable memory positions and under-bed lighting). However, this mattress base offers great quality and value for the price. The Bed in A box bed bases are very popular given its relatively cheap pricing structure. You will notice that most adjustable bases in the entry level category are 4″ thick. In contrast, the Bed-in-A-Box is only 2″ thick. This can be handy for someone that wants their bed to be low/ short. Thicker the bed profile, taller the bed will be. This is why this bed is most recommended for those who are looking for a low-profile adjustable bed base.
While it is highly recommended for the budget conscious customers, keep in mind that this mattress base lacks the following most recommended features:
- No pillow tilting
- No wallhugger engineering
Prices range from $600 – $1200
If you want to purchase a low profile design (base is thin compared to others like the Purple or the Nectar), the Motion-in-a-Box is one of the best entry-level adjustable beds of 2021. This is also the best price you can get on a twin XL size. This product is probably the best choice if you’re shopping for a low-profile and light weight adjustable bed. The low-profile also make this adjustable bed suitable for seniors. The light-weight as well as easy assembly make it easy to handle and maneuver by the elderly as well as anyone else.
Recommended Entry-level – GhostBed Adjustable Base
The Ghostbed adjustable base is an entry-level base with relatively few specs. The base comes with the following 3 out of the 10 most important features:
- One customizable memory position
- Head and feet massage
- Under-bed lights
Adjustable bed and mattress combo highlights (Ghostbed)
- Zero Gravity setting*, TV watching, Anti-Snore, Lounge and Flat factory pre-set memory settings
- Four USB ports to charge devices like phones and headphones
- Available sizes ; Twin XL, Queen, and Split King for couples. Cal King size of the bed (72″ wide and 84″ long) is not available.
- 15-mode head and feet massage with timer
- Easy and fast setup
- Considerable deals when you buy the base + mattress combo
* The zero g (ZG) position is well known for resting and taking the stress away from the back muscles and relieving chronic back pain (scientifically as well as based on user experiences). You deserve that rest!
Major Cons: No pillow tilting & not a wallhugger engineering
The Ghostbed adjustable base is a great option if all you want is a non-complicated, ‘bare bones’ adjustable base. We also recommend this for any buyer that is looking for base + mattress product bundles, Ghostbed offers you plenty of options and deals across the board.
Prices range from $900 – $1800
Adjustable Base with Aluminum Frame – Bear
Bear is a very good mid-range adjustable model from a trusted brand name with 4 out of the top 10. These include the following:
- Wall hugger bed
- The bed base comes with two programmable memory settings
- Under-bed lighting
- Storage-bed compatibility
Only Queen, King and Split-King size adjustable bed frames are available. The aluminum structure makes it pretty lightweight compared to a solid metal structure. Therefore, this adjustable bed can be highly recommended for seniors shopping for an adjustable bed.
Base Price range: $1500 – $2200
CONS: This product is not cheap for the features offered
High-quality Sectional Foundation – Yaasa Adjustable Bed
Yaasa Studios bed base is very similar to the Bear power bed. The Yaasa adjustable bed too has an aluminum/ metal chassis and 4 wood-finish planks placed on it. The major difference is that the Yaasa base costs more than Bear’s adjustable beds. The Yaasa adjustable bed base has a beautiful white while the Bear is black in color. Personally, I find the white prettier, but when you put the mattress on, nobody know what color it was underneath.
The major pros and cons of the Yaasa adjustable base are as follows:
- Wall hugger base
- Two customizable memory positions
- Storage-bed friendly
- Two USB ports (one on each side of the bed; charge up to two devices at the same time)
Prices range from $1700 – $3200
CONS: The product is too pricey for the features available.
- Available sizes: Twin XL, Queen, King and Split versions
- Trial Period: None for the base. The 100 night trial period mentioned on the Yaasa website is for customers that purchase Yaasa mattresses.
- Yaasa White Glove Service available for $199 (free white glove delivery is hard to come by in this industry)
- It is one of the best picks for anyone that likes the white color and the aluminum mounting
How to Choose The Right Adjustable Bed?
If YOU had to select the bed yourself, this is what you’ll need to do:
- Research not one, but a wide range of adjustable bed brands
- Analyze features offered by each one of those beds
- Identify the MUST-HAVE features for your bed
- Analyze the manufacturer/ supplier/ brand reputation
- Study consumer reviews for each bed
- Compare specs, price point etc. etc. with other adjustable bases
That is what we have done at Bedroom Solutions so that you can benefit from our decades of experience in the sleep industry. Here’s the exact science that went into compiling this adjustable bed buyer’s guide.
Adjustable Bed Buyer’s Guide
Below we will give an overview of how we ranked the best adjustable beds; however, if you want to learn the detailed science of Bedroom Solutions’ ranking process, please go here. We initially analyzed 33 specs and 1200+ customer reviews from online reviewers on over 80 adjustable frames from different manufacturers. This analysis revealed the following 10 most useful and popular specs which we further categorized as shown below.
Top 10 Most Useful Specs
3 MUST-HAVE Specs
- Pillow Tilting: better head and neck adjustability when sitting up on the bed (work, read, or watch TV etc.). With head tilt alone, you cannot sufficiently straighten your upper body to watch TV. As one reviewer said, “Pillow tilting adjustments allow me to watch Netflix for hours at a stretch without the constant neck pain I used to have“. Independent pillow tilting can also be used to stop snoring of your spouse or yourself (just tilt this section by a few degrees for the anti-snoring function).
- Wall Hugging : provides an extra adjustment that keeps you next to the nightstand even when the upper section is raised. Thereby minimizes potential for spraining neck and back.
- Programmable Memory Positions: lets you program your own custom positions (at least one; ideally more than one position), so that you can go to your favorite lounging position for example, with a single click rather than meddling with multiple adjustments
To learn more about these 3 features, go here to watch 3 animations. These 3 are mandatory specs if your budget allows. If your adjustable bed base doesn’t have these 3, you’re missing a lot!!
3 Optional Specs
- Lumbar Support: this adjustment is for those who need extra back support for certain types of lower back pain. In addition to that, as one reviewer mentioned, it can also help fix existing mattress sagging.
- Furniture-style Decking: for those who like the gorgeous looks
- Elevation Lift: to prevent heartburn
4 Supplementary Specs
- Head and Foot Massage function: to relax and rest those tired muscles. As one reviewer perfectly said “Don’t expect a shiatsu massaging, it’s more like vibration, very soothing and I love it“
- Storage-bed Compatibility
- Height-adjustable Legs: this adjustment can raise or lower the bed as you please
- Under-bed Lighting
Price Range of Adjustable Beds
What decides price?
- Size – typically the price goes up from Twin XL to Full size to Queen size to King to Cal King to Split King
- Brand / Manufacturer
- Specs on offer – the most basic adjustable beds come with head tilt only (typically with a wired remote). These beds are the cheapest.
- Whether adjustable mattress is included or not
- Warranty coverage and period
- Whether white glove service is included or not
Before diving into buying an adjustable mattress base, many people would want to find out about the adjustable bed costs. This is important whether you’re buying it for the spouse (husband, wife or significant other), daughter, son or a couple. The cheapest and most basic adjustable beds start at little as $400 for a Twin XL base. Such models come at about $600 for a Queen size and $800 for a King size. Some examples for such beds are Bed In A Box, Lucid L100, Lucid L300, Blissfulnights, Classic Brands etc. However, you will notice that most of those names didn’t make it to our 10-best list because they lacked certain features we were looking for.
Fancier adjustable beds with modern functions can cost up to $1000 for a Twin XL, $1250-1500 for a Queen size and $1750 upwards for a Split type King base. The most expensive movable bed options in the market are the Sleep Number FlexFit 3 and the Tempur-pedic Tempur Ergo Extend that costs approximately $4000 for a split king bed frame (excluding mattresses). There are two cheaper Tempur-pedic bases by the names of Tempurpedic Tempur-Ergo Power Base and Tempurpedic Tempur-Ergo Smart Base. The Tempur-Ergo Smart bed has sleep tracker technology that tracks your sleeping behavior via an app.
Hospital bed type of adjustable beds also pricey in the 2021 market. Premium hospital bed brands (e.g. Hopeful, Wert, Invacare) with built-in side rails typically sell for upwards of $3,000 for a Twin XL size. You won’t get queen size or split versions for these hospital beds as they are almost exclusively used by single patients. Please note that these are not meant for exclusive use at hospitals. In additions to hospitals, they can be used at residences as well where there are seniors or other patients with mobility issues. Fortunately, these maybe covered by medicare through Medicare Part B.
Most of today’s retailers offer great deals on both adjustable beds and mattresses especially on credit card payments. This is a great relief for consumers not prepared to spend the entire price out of their pockets at once. Also take a close look at the different warranties offered by different retailers. Some offer warranties as long as 25 years, but such warranties give a very limited and pro-rated coverage.
A word of caution on price
Just because a particular bed frame is pricey, that doesn’t mean that it is a feature-rich adjustable base. For example, the Yaasa adjustable bed is relatively high-priced, yet has relatively few specs. Always check if the adjustable bed models have features like the zero gravity preset, massage settings, USB ports, and supports different sleeping positions. Take out your calculator and see if the investment is worthwhile compared to the specs it offers.
Certain adjustable bed companies have products with massage functions and wireless remote but no foot tilting. Without foot tilting you can’t get certain sleeping positions. However, some adjustable bed companies have made sure that any sleep position can be adopted with their beds. Some retailers have partners in popular mattress manufacturers and together make entire sleep systems available. Most adjustable bed models have sleep systems which are essentially a base and mattress combo. Buying a complete sleep system (e.g. mattress) is sometimes cheaper than buying the base and mattress separately. You’re looking at an extra $100-200 for white glove services including delivery and setup.
Some retailers market their beds as a treatment option for chronic back pain. You should always consult a doctor to find out if your back pain (acute or chronic) can be fixed by an adjustable bed or not. Further, when you’re searching for online bed reviews, you should always check if they use a reasonable review system or not. Some reviewers simply give a ranking without a justifiable system. Before you decide that a particular adjustable bed brand is your best option, remember to check their phone number so that you can contact them if a technical issue comes up.
If you are a couple and are shopping for a split-queen or king, don’t forget to check for the “link” between the two twin-XL beds. Usually a USB or other cable will link the two bases together so that the two beds can be operated with a single wireless remote. If you are not sure about how to connect the two bases, always call the company using the phone number. In fact calling them might be an excellent way to get an idea about their customer service too.
Shoppers sometimes make purchasing decisions entirely based on the price. Some of the cheap adjustable beds in the 2021 marketplace have very poor warranties. Therefore, we request buyers to compare the different warranties offered by various companies when shopping for your dream bed.
Best Mattress for Reclining Beds
Now you know how to choose an adjustable bed. How about the accessories? Are there any must-have accessories that can take your adjustable bed and sleep quality to the next level? Pillows and sheets are important, but we’re talking about something else here. As you know, even the best rated adjustable beds cannot give you the rest you deserve without the right type of mattress to complement it. If you already have a mattress, you may want to keep using it. However, if you need to purchase a new mattress, we highly recommend you get a proper mattress education so that you can buy the best mattress your money can afford. This is not necessarily an adjustable mattress review; however, for purposes of completion, we will talk about the best mattresses very briefly.
Out of the many mattress types made of memory foam, latex, innerspring, water and air; latex, memory foam and air mattresses are considered the best mattresses for adjustable type of beds. As you can imagine, in a water bed, all the water would flow to the bottom/foot, when raising the upper body in a water mattress. Conventional innerspring mattresses have rigid coil systems which cannot withstand the constant flexion and extension of the base. The best adjustable mattress you can purchase is one that is flexible and quickly returns to the normal state after the bed base returns to the flat position. Hybrid mattresses where coil springs have been individually wrapped also work. Unlike on innerspring mattresses, the coil springs are independent of each other on these modern spring mattresses.
Adjustable air beds from mattress companies like Sleep Number have the additional advantage of having different firmness levels according to the sleeper’s comfort preferences. Not only do these allow for different firmness options between the two sides but also on different regions of the same mattress. The comfort and support afforded by these are difficult to match (beware that they don’t come cheap though).
Your sleeping position is also something you need to consider before deciding on the mattress firmness level. A soft or plush mattress suits side sleepers best while a medium-firm mattress suits back sleepers best. The best firmness level for stomach sleepers is medium-firm to firm. However, there’s no denying that we all love to sleep on a plush mattress that sleeps cool. Newer mattresses have cooling gel infused into them which definitely helps during warm summer months. Based on sleep research, mattress companies will provide informational guides to help you decide which of their mattresses suits your sleeping behavior the best.
Popular Adjustable Mattress Brands
As there is a wide range of memory foam and latex mattress brands, we won’t go into the exact models. We have other articles about best mattress brands. However, now that you know which mattress type suits best, we’re confident that you will make the right decision with the brand and model when you’re shopping for your new adjustable mattress. We can recommend Nectar (12-month home trial and Forever warranty), Amerisleep, Layla, Loom & Leaf from Saatva, and DynastyMattress memory foam mattresses. Some of these top rated adjustable mattresses are manufactured by companies which also sell adjustable beds.
If your existing mattress does not belong to the types we have explained above, you may want to purchase a new mattress. For any new bed adjustable or not, a new mattress can make a huge difference. Remember, there’s nothing like a good night’s sleep that can boost your energy levels the following day!
A word about white glove services for mattresses: with an electric bed frame, a white glove service with setup can be very important because most adjustable bed frames typically weigh over 100 pounds making it over 200 lbs for a split base. Carrying such a base upstairs and setting it up can be a daunting task to most buyers. However, with mattresses, this is not so critical because there is literally no ‘set up’. White glove services will typically include in-home delivery, unpacking/unboxing of the new mattress, disposal of packaging material, and removal of the old mattress. However, remember that these services usually come at an extra price. Although free shipping is not uncommon, free white glove delivery is almost unheard of. Free shipping typically is curb-side delivery and does not include in-home delivery.
Adjustable Mattress Prices
One of the first things interested buyers would think of is the mattress price. They can cost as little as $300 for a memory foam mattress or as much as $2000 upwards for a latex foam king mattress in the 2021 mattress market. Adjustable air mattress brands (e.g. adjustable firmness air beds by Sleep Number) are usually not cheap. Obviously, split mattresses costs more than a queen mattress. No one wants to pay for shipping these days and thankfully, most models come with free shipping and extended periods of money back warranty these days. Some even come with free return shipping whereas with others, you only have to pay return shipping or a re-stocking fee. It is also important to think of sleep hygiene and the durability of a mattress. Some brands are cheap and less durable while high-cost models can be more durable due to the high quality materials that have been used to manufacture it. Whether you’re shopping online or at your local mattress stores / outlets / showrooms, this is something you really ought to pay attention to.
10 Benefits of Adjustable Bed Frames
You can enjoy the following sleep, lifestyle and health benefits from using an adjustable bed.
- Rest, watch television, read, knit, write, work on your laptop etc. from the comfort of your bed
- Improves sleep quality and sleep experience in most people (including during pregnancy and recovering after surgeries). Can even help fix insomnia in some.
- Alleviates pains (relieves joint, arthritis, sciatica, hips, and back pains and pressure on pressure points) and aligns the spine improving mobility
- The different positions of adjustable beds can help fight breathing difficulties and alleviates sleep disorders like sleep apnea. You can expect an improvement on the sleep apnea symptoms; however, it’s best to speak to doctors that specialize on the subject (may not be able to fix asthma though).
- Stops snoring
- Reduces swelling (edema) of legs, ankles, and feet due to anomalies of blood pressure and eventually improves mobility – the zero gravity setting works great for some people
- Adjustable beds can combat heartburn (GERD) – adjustable bases with elevation lift are the best especially for side sleepers with acid reflux
- Alleviates symptoms of Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) and gives your legs a proper rest. You can raise the foot section up to an angle of 45 degrees to rest your legs.
- Improves digestion in users
- More independence for couples (with a split-queen and king bases)
For a detailed explanation on the sleep science and how adjustable bases achieve these benefits, go to this page. Kindly note that the above list of health benefits has been published for informational purposes (not to be taken as academic or medical advice). We strongly encourage you to talk to a doctor or a suitable medical expert for specific medical advice. Note that while adjustable beds are full of benefits, there are some drawbacks as well. Those who are interested can read about 18 Pros and Cons of adjustable beds on this page.
Why Trust our Product Reviews?
Because of the dozens of unsolicited testimonials we have received from our readers and buyers (you can see all of them at the bottom of the article on the comments section)
Vincent Corso Jr
“I am a 65 year old with back issues… Your video and knowledge has been instrumental in my decision … Your site was extremely appreciated and your professionalism impeccable”
“Love your site – I have learned so much about the features of adjustable beds. We are in our mid-70’s and with advancing medical issues (sleep apnea, heartburn, aching joints) … Thank you so very much!”
“I loved reading your online reviews, the website is incredibly useful and full of information. … I thought if anybody would have an answer it would be y’all. Thanks in advance!!”
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
User Comments and Questions
Please share your questions or suggestions about our adjustable bed reviews and comparisons. Thank you!