Reviews Updated for May 2020
So you want to know what the best adjustable beds of 2020 are. In contrast to many other sites, our top rated adjustable beds were carefully selected after a scientific ranking and review process. Bedroom Solutions' adjustable bed ratings were compiled based on the following 5 criteria.
- Availability of the 3 Most ESSENTIAL Features
- Availability of Supplementary Features
- Manufacturer Reputation
- Consumer Reviews
Here's what you'll find on this page
Modern adjustable beds are popular because they have various features that help people not only sleep well, but also help fight back aches, acid reflux, restless leg syndrome (RLS) etc. etc. Here are the top 10 major features you should know about before reading our adjustable bed reviews.
Top 10 Adjustable Bed Features You Need to Know About
Out of the many dozens of features offered by bed frame manufacturers, we strongly recommend that you choose an adjustable bed with the following 3 specs if your budget allows. Their health benefits, in terms of saving your neck and back, outweigh the investment of a few hundred dollars.
- Pillow Tilting
- Wall Hugging
- Programmable Memory Positions
These are HIGHLY recommended features with any age group, but especially so, if you're closing up on the senior years!
Not everyone needs the following features.
- Lumbar Support: recommended if you need extra back support
- Elevation Lift: recommended if you have acid reflux/ heartburn
You may NOT NEED all of these 10 features in your bed. But you MUST BE AWARE of these 10 Specs before you make that purchasing decision.
Click on the boxes below to expand and read up on the major benefits of these features.
For better head and neck support while watching TV, reading or working on the computer.
Most adjustable beds have only (A) head tilting and (B) foot tilting. Head tilting doesn't support your head and neck sufficiently, especially when you're trying to keep your head straight while watching TV or reading a book.
Pillow tilting, a third level of articulation, provides the head and neck the additional support needed for watching TV, reading books, working on the computer etc. from bed. We strongly recommend you to pick an adjustable bed with pillow tilting because it can save you a lot of pain in the long run!
Keeps you close to the nightstand in the upright position
On non-wall hugging adjustable beds, as you raise the head, your whole body moves forward placing the nightstand out of reach. Turning back to reach something on the nightstand can give you neck and back sprains.
Wallhugger engineering eliminates this and makes the bed base slide back as you raise your upper body so that it never leaves the headboard or the nightstand.
Program your one-touch 'favorite positions' as per your personal preferences.
Most average adjustable beds come with 'preset' memory positions instead of customizable memory positions. With preset positions, you have to be content with what the adjustable bed manufacturer programs for you.
In contrast, customizable memory positions give you the power to control your favorite memory positions based on your personal preferences!
For obvious reasons, this is not comparable to a massage you will get from your personal masseur. The massage offered by adjustable bed bases can vary from a continuous vibration in entry-level adjustable beds to advanced pulsations or rolling waves (from head to toe) on premium bases. Further, the massage intensity can be changed and high-end models also have built-in massage timers which will automatically turn the massage off after you fall asleep.
Massage makes you relaxed and fall asleep by activation of the parasympathetic nervous system which in turn stimulates the release of a series of calming and sleeping hormones (e.g. dopamine, serotonin, melatonin). Whether it's real human massage, a mechanical and motorized massage or a weighted blanket, it's the same principle that helps you feel calm and sleepy. This is also known as Deep Touch Pressure (DTP) or Deep Pressure Therapy (DPT) and is used as a therapy in certain medical conditions.
This was first introduced on Serta Motion adjustable beds way back in 2014/15 and later adopted by other adjustable bed manufacturers. This feature comes with an independently functioning 'arm' that jumps out of the bed exerting pressure on the back region. You can control how much it jots out and thereby control the amount of pressure on your back. This can help relax tensed up muscles at the end of a long day. However, if you have an injured backbone, you will need to seek professional advice to ensure that lumbar support will be harmless for your specific condition. Generally, the best adjustable beds for back pain are those with the lumbar support feature.
Beds with Elevation Lift can do wonders in combating acid reflux aka heartburn.
This 4th level of articulation allows the whole bed to be raised at an angle so that your upper body can be elevated above the lower body preventing stomach acids from refluxing against gravity in to the esophagus.
This is an optional feature. The upholstered deck adds a touch of class and looks gorgeous in high-quality models. However, if you're planning on placing your adjustable base inside a wooden bed frame (sleigh bed, platform bed etc.), the upholstered deck may get covered by the wooden frame.
Therefore, we recommend furniture style decking especially if you will use your electric bed as a standalone bed without placing it inside a wooden or metal frame.
Platform or storage bed-friendly
Some adjustable bed frames come with legs that are height adjustable: e.g. as short as 3" or as tall as 10". This is a useful feature because it lets you change the leg height depending on your height or the mattress thickness.
This too can be a useful feature because it will give enough light to light up the floor to show you the way to the bathroom, yet be not too bright so as to wake up your partner.
Based on the availability of (A) above features, (B) brand/manufacturer's reputation, (C) available consumer reviews and (D) adjustable bed price, we have selected and reviewed the top 7 adjustable bed frames for your perusal.
Best Adjustable Beds
7 Best Adjustable Beds of 2020
The following models are our best adjustable beds of 2020. The top ranking adjustable bed frames are premium or high-end models with all the bells and whistles. As you go down the list, the models become gradually less feature-rich and more budget-friendly.
Furniture Style Deck
Overall Best Adjustable Bed of 2020
1st Runner-up Adjustable Base
a) ~$50 cheaper than the DM9000s (for the Split-King size)
b) Cheaper model without Lumbar Support is also available
Amerisleep Adjustable Bed+
Most Luxurious Adjustable Mattress & Frame
a) Has very high quality finishes/ upholstery
b) Over $2500 for a Split-king, yet lack certain features
Layla Adjustable Bed Frames
Best Mid-Range Adjustable Frame
a) Priced over $2000 (Split-King price)
b) Alexa and Google Home compatible
c) Cheaper, basic model also available
Vesta Elevation Lift
Best for Acid Reflux/ Heartburn
a) Only Glideaway makes adjustable beds with Elevation Lift to combat heartburn / GERD
b) Priced above $2500
Best Entry-Level Base
Split-queen option available
a) Powered with Leggett & Platt motors
b) Excellent customer reviews
c) Under $1300 for a Split-King base
Best-value Budget Friendly Frame
a) Basic model with an amazing price
b) Under $800 for a Split-King size
Note: adjustable bed ranking process is described here. All adjustable bed prices indicated on the above table are accurate as of May 14th 2020.
Disclaimer: We triple check every fact displayed here to make sure that we paint an accurate picture of an adjustable bed in your mind. But our team of humans are not perfect and we can make mistakes just like everyone else. So, it's best that you cross check our details with those given on the relevant product pages.
Here's a detailed review of our #1 ranked adjustable bed frame to help you make an educated decision.
Overall Best Adjustable Bed of 2020
This is the most-feature rich adjustable bed you will find on planet earth right now. It has all the major adjustable bed features except one (read about it in the 'Cons' section below)
It has the following 3 'MUST-HAVE' Features:
- Independent Pillow tilting better neck support during reading, TV watching etc.
- Wall hugging to keep you close to the nightstand even in the upright position
- FOUR Memory Positions (3 programmable + 1 preset) on the remote to get to your favorite positions with a single click
7 More Pros of the DM9000s:
- Lumbar support to relieve tired/aching back muscles. This is adjustable; you can increase or decrease the lumbar pressure using the 'Lumbar Up' and 'Lumbar Down' buttons.
- Upholstered, furniture-style decking for great looks (hides the 'ugly' metal frames if you wish to use it as a standalone bed, without a wooden bed frame)
- Quad-massage with timer and rolling-wave feature
- Economically priced: adjustable bases from certain other brands are over $1000 more expensive (for a split-king size) despite having fewer features
- 10-Year Extended Warranty on Parts and Labor
- Microhooking mattress retention instead of the mattress retention bar which is old-fashioned and gets in the way when making the bed (tucking the sheets under the bar can be annoying)
- Platform bed/ storage bed-friendly (zero-clearance adjustable bed). More than 90% of the models have mechanical components jotting under the adjustable foundation preventing you from using it with a storage or platform bed frame.
Here are some additional 'BONUS' features (these are NOT 'need-to-have' features; but are definitely 'nice-to-have')
- 4 USB Ports (2 on either side)
- Height adjustable legs (6 - 10 inches)
- Bluetooth speaker + subwoofer
- Under-bed LED lighting
Discount valid as of 7.20am CST, 22nd May 2020
What are the DM9000s Cons ?
We failed to find any drawbacks/ limitations of this model except for the following two:
- It lacks 'Elevation Lift' which is a feature recommended for sleepers with heartburn. If you don't have heartburn, its absence on this model is not an issue.
- Over the years, we've seen this model go out of stock regularly. May be they can't keep up with the demand (just guessing). Consider yourself lucky, if it's in stock when you're reading this.
Bedroom Solutions' Adjustable Bed Review Process
The Best Adjustable Bed Ranking Process in Detail
- Analyze: First, we analyzed over 25 adjustable bed specs and over 1000 consumer reviews on 100+ adjustable beds
- Rank: Then we ranked the best adjustable beds based on these rules.
- Review: Finally, we compiled detailed reviews for each of the top 7 adjustable bed frames.
Please UnMute for Sounds
The above video explains the pros and cons of the 6 most critical features of adjustable beds. Please invest a few minutes of your valuable time to watch it so that you can find out if you need these features or not.
Now you should have a fairly good idea about which of the above adjustable bases will serve your purpose best. If you're still not sure about which model suits you best, please check out the following adjustable bed frame reviews based on the functions they specialize in.
Bedroom Solutions' best rated adjustable beds based on their specialized functions
- Overall Best Adjustable Beds – DM9000s (2020 ranking) and Sven & Son Platinum, Leggett & Platt Prodigy 2.0 adjustable bed (2018 ranking)
- Best Adjustable Beds for Back Pain – Leggett and Platt Prodigy Comfort Elite (2019-20), Reverie 9T (2017)
- Best for Seniors – Glideaway Elevation, Ascend and Vesta beds
- Best Beds for GERD/Acid Reflux – Glideaway Vesta and Odessa
- Best Mid-Range Adjustable Beds – Reverie 8Q, Blissful Nights, iDealBed iEscape, Leggett and Platt S-Cape
- Best Anti-Snore Bed – Any model with the anti-snore preset and independent pillow tilting
- Best Adjustable Beds Prices / Value for Money – iDealBed 4i Custom, Lucid L300
- Best Value Split-King adjustable beds – Blissful Nights, Sven and Son Classic
- Best Entry-Level Models – Blissful Nights, Milemont
- Best Luxury Adjustable Beds – Sleep Number FlexFit Smart adjustable bed and TEMPUR-Ergo® Extend adjustable base
- Best Adjustable Mattresses - Puffy, Latex for Less and Lucid mattresses
Why you should trust Bedroom Solution's Adjustable Bed Comparisons & Reviews?
Because of the dozens of unsolicited testimonials we have received like these (you can see all of them at the bottom of the page on the comments section)
Vincent Corso Jr
"..... I am a 65 year old with back issues ............... Your video and knowledge has been instrumental in my decision ................... Your site was extremely appreciated and your professionalism impeccable. "
"I love’d reading your adjustable bed reviews, the website is incredibly useful and full of information. ..................................... I thought if anybody would have an answer it would be y’all. Thanks in advance!!"
"Love your site – I have learned so much about the features of adjustable beds. We are in our mid-70’s and with advancing medical issues (sleep apnea, acid reflux, aching joints) ..................... Thank you so very much!"
The following section consists of detailed reviews of each adjustable bed that made to the Top.
Detailed Adjustable Bed Reviews
Prodigy 2.0 – Overall Best Adjustable Bed
This was our #1 recommended best adjustable bed of 2018 and many years before that. The Prodigy 2.0 is still the best, but with the the introduction of cheaper, yet equally good models like the Sven and Son Platinum, DM9000s and Leggett & Platt’s own Williamsburg, we had to demote the Prodigy 2.0 by a few positions. It would be unfair by the consumers if we still promoted this more expensive model over others.
If you’re on a MOBILE DEVICE, you may have bypassed our famous adjustable bed comparison tables!!
Why does Leggett & Platt’s Prodigy 2.0 get our highest recommendation?
Because it has the following high-end specs… and more…
- Pillow tilting:
Most electric beds have only head tilting and foot tilting. But the best of the best adjustable beds for sale such as the Leggett & Platt Prodigy 2.0, have an additional level of adjustment known as pillow tilting. Pillow tilting ensures that your head and neck are adequately supported by the adjustable frame. This is especially useful when you are watching TV, reading a book, having breakfast-in-bed, checking out President Trump on your new iPad/laptop etc. in the ‘sit-up’ position. Here’s a cheaper adjustable base with pillow tilting. It is currently our #2 recommended adjustable base in the high-end list.
Programmable/customizable memory positions: ‘ordinary’ adjustable bases have factory preset memory positions that are often NOT customizable according to your personal needs. In contrast, high-end adjustable frames like the Prodigy adjustable bed comes with programmable memory positions. This basically allows you to adjust your bed to your favorite custom ‘book reading’, ‘laptop using’, ‘lounging’ position etc. and to store that position in the remote’s memory. Once you’ve stored your favorite positions, you can recall that favorite position with the press of a single button (instead of pressing “up” and “down” buttons a hundred times, until you find that perfect spot).
- Wall hugging: On some of the basic models of bed bases, when the ‘head’ is raised, your whole upper body moves forward, away from the wall/headboard. This motion also brings you away from your nightstand. So, if you had a book or TV remote on the nightstand, now you’re going to have to reach backwards to grab them. This is not very convenient. This uncomfortable movement can also cause some back problems, and you don’t want that. We strongly urge you to stay away from electric beds that are not ‘wall hugger’ models. The L&P Prodigy 2.0 is a wall hugger model that will save your back! A picture is worth a thousand words. See below…
- Full body massage: we’ll be the first to admit that the quality of massage you get from these adjustable beds is nowhere near what you get from your professional masseur. But, hey, if you can’t afford a masseur on a daily basis, this head-to-toe bed massage will do wonders to relax you down after a hectic day’s work. The Prodigy 2.0 offers Dual, full-body massage. In other words, there are two separate ‘massage motors’ for upper and lower body therapeutic massage. In addition to ‘regular’ massage, it also comes with Wave action to relax those tired muscles from head to toe. You also have the option of 3 speeds (low, medium, high) for your therapeutic massage.
- USB ports: one may think it’s silly to have USB ports on an adjustable base. But, if you use ‘smart’ devices on a daily basis (smartphone, tablet computer/iPad, MP3 player/iPod, Bluetooth speaker, Bluetooth headphones etc.) that can be charged using USB ports, these can be really handy. The Prodigy 2.0 is the king when it comes to built-in USB ports. It has EIGHT USB ports in total (four on each side). That’s almost overkill; hey but you’ve certainly got nothing to lose with a few extra USB ports!
- Two factory-preset memory positions: one-touch flat button and anti-snore position
- Lift capacity: has an industry-leading lift capacity of 850 pounds
- Miscellaneous specs of the Prodigy 2.0:
- Alarm clock (bed would vibrate without disturbing your partner on split-king models)
- Sleep timer (bed would automagically adjust itself to the ‘flat’ position from ‘TV watching position’ – once you fall asleep -)
- Under-bed lighting
- Illuminated/backlit remote controller
- ‘Whisper’ quiet motors
- High safety standards
- Adjustable leg height: 6 – 8 inches
- Free fall during power outages
- Microhook retention system: instead of the messy mattress retaining bars. The 2017-2018 series of Leggett & Platt bed bases have done away with the mattress retainer bars because they get in the way when you’re making the bed. These L&P beds have a microhook retention system that ‘sticks’ to the mattress. This way, even without the retainer bars, the mattress won’t slide down when the head is raised.
- Smart bed: the bed can be adjusted using apps on your Android/Apple phone
- Bluetooth connectivity
You really couldn’t ask for a better adjustable bed than the feature-rich Leggett & Prodigy 2.0. Don’t forget to read our detailed Leggett and Platt Prodigy 2.0 Review that looks at 25 Pros and Cons of this adjustable bed.
2020 Update: There is no doubt that the Prodigy 2.0 is one of the greatest adjustable beds planet earth has witnessed! Leggett & Platt introduced two new models in 2019, namely, the Prodigy Comfort Elite and Williamsburg, and an updated with zero-clearance Prodigy 3.0 or Prodigy PT in 2020. Now that all these newer adjustable bases are available, the Prodigy 2.0 kind of becomes obsolete.
To make things worse for the Prodigy 2.0, other manufacturers like DynastyMattress have introduced electric-powered bed frames, such as the DM9000s which packs more features than the Prodigy 2.0 at a lower price.
Reverie 8Q Adjustable Bed – 1st Runner Up
The Reverie 8Q is our #2 recommended adjustable bed frame. It ranks right behind the Leggett & Platt Prodigy 2.0. The Reverie 8Q foundation has the following major specs.
- Pillow tilting (in addition to head and foot tilting)
- 4 customizable memory positions
- 10-speed dual body therapeutic massage
- Wall-hugging. However, the image below will show you that the Reverie 8Q’s wall hugging is NOT as good as that of the Prodigy 2.0
- Three factory-preset memory positions: anti-snore, zero gravity and one-touch flat
- 4 mattress retainer bars: before Leggett & Platt introduced the Microhook retention system, all adjustable beds for sale had mattress retaining bars. Most of them had just one at the foot of the bed to prevent the mattress from sliding down when the head is raised. But, Reverie beds always had 4 retainer bars at the 4 corners which kept the mattress in place very well. However, this also means that you’ll have to work around them when making the bed (to work the fitted sheets under and through them) and that can be irritating sometimes!
- Smart bed: there are custom Reverie smartphone apps that you can use to play with the bed
- Alarm clock and sleep timer thanks to smartphone apps
- 1 USB port on the remote stand
- 1 A/C outlet on the remote stand
- Under-bed lighting
- 3 – 8 inch height-adjustable steel legs
- Backlit remote controller: nowadays, a standard feature with best electric beds
If you’re unsure about whether to pick the Prodigy 2.0 or the Reverie 8Q, read our Reverie 8Q vs 7S vs 5D vs Leggett and Platt Prodigy 2.0 Comparison
Reverie 9T – Best Adjustable Base for Back Pain
The Reverie 9T is one of the sleekest and most aesthetically pleasing models included in our adjustable beds’ reviews of 2018. It has plenty of great features; the one negative point that kept it from being our #1 rated best adjustable frame is its lack of pillow tilting.
Here are the major Pros of the Reverie 9T foundation:
- Looks – to me, it’s the best looking adjustable bed of modern times. The deck-on-deck design and its furniture-style, curved bottom deck does the trick for me.
- Lumbar support
- FIVE memory positions – 2 customizable + 3 pre-set positions
- 3D massage feature
- Beautiful wireless remote with digital gauge
- Under-bed night light
Here are the major CONS of the Reverie 9T foundation:
- Lack of pillow tilting
- Expensive price tag
We have a detailed review of the Reverie 9T elsewhere. Please refer to it if you’re seriously interested in purchasing a Reverie 9T bed.
Glideaway Elevation – Best Adjustable Bed for heartburn and acid reflux
The Glideaway Elevation and Ascend adjustable beds stand out like a sore finger among other electric beds. Can you guess why, by looking at the image above? That’s right! While other adjustable beds for sale have only 3 articulations, namely, head tilt, foot tilt and pillow tilt, the Glideaway Elevation electric bed has 4 articulations. The 4th is known as the ‘Elevation Lift’ which basically tilts the entire bed upwards at the head region. This position is known as the “Reverse Trendelenburg Position” and makes the Glideaway Elevation one of the best adjustable beds for seniors.
The Glideaway Elevation is undoubtedly one of the most feature-rich electric beds; however, it doesn’t come cheap. It is also one of the most expensive options when considering adjustable beds prices of 2018. This is why it doesn’t get our #1 spot in our list of best adjustable beds.
Major PROS of Glideaway’s Reverse Trendelenburg Position
- Helps combat acid reflux aka heartburn aka GERD
- Helps the elderly and disabled to easily get in and out of bed
Major CONS of Glideaway’s Elevation bed
PRICE – it ain’t cheap; in fact, it’s probably the most expensive in our list of top 10 adjustable foundations.
We have provided a detailed Glideaway adjustable bed review elsewhere; please refer to it for more details and a comparison between the Glideaway Elevation and Glideaway Ascend reclining beds.
iDealBed 4i Custom – Best Value for Money
First things first… iDealBed is not a manufacturer of adjustable beds. iDealBed simply puts their brand name on certain models of Leggett & Platt and Reverie adjustable beds. The iDealBed adjustable beds’ prices are more reasonable than that of Leggett & Platt. They seems to have a few modifications to their original models from L&P and Reverie, but by and large, they’re the same. The most significant difference is on the price tag. The iDealBed models are much cheaper than the ‘original’ branded version.
The Major Pros of the iDealBed 4i Custom
- It’s manufactured by Leggett & Platt; no need to worry about the unheard of brand name
- Designed and engineered in the USA
- 850 lb weight lifting capacity (that’s one heck of a powerful motor)
- ‘Ultra quiet’ motor
- 3-speed and 3-mode (wave, pulse, continuous) massage
- Delivered to your doorstep, all pre-assembled. No need of fancy tools to make it stand up
- 3 factory pre-set memory positions – Zero Gravity, Anti-Snore, and Flat
- 2 customizable memory positions
- Raise the head section up to 70° and the foot section up to 45°
- Wireless back-lit remote (doesn’t look pretty)
- 4 USB ports
- Under-bed night light
The Major Cons of the iDealBed 4i Custom adjustable bed
The following 3 specs are generally only found on the most high-end adjustable luxury bed frames and you shouldn’t be surprised that the 4i doesn’t come with them
- It lacks pillow tilting
- It doesn’t come with wall hugging
- It’s not a deck-on-deck design
We have done a detailed iDealBed 4i Custom review elsewhere on Bedroom Solutions. If you’re seriously considering this model, I highly recommend you check that out.
Leggett & Platt S-Cape 2.0 – Best Mid-Range Bed
Even though this ranks overall 5th in our list, it’s the best model in our mid-range category. The S-Cape 2.0 was released in 2017 and is still very new for 2018. It has almost all the features of the high-end adjustable frame of Prodigy 2.0 except a few features like pillow tilting.
Here’s a breakdown of the major features of the Leggett and Platt S-Cape 2.0 power foundation
- NO Pillow tilting; the S-Cape 2.0 only has head and foot tilting. If you need pillow tilting, you need the Prodigy 2.0
- It has great wall hugging (the bed glides back about 8-9 inches towards the nightstand/headboard)
- It has 2 programmable memory positions and 3 factory preset memory positions on its remote controller
- It has full body, dual-motor massage with regular and wave options of therapeutic massage
- NO messy mattress retainer bars. It has the newest Microhook retention technology which holds the mattress in place even without the retainer bars
- Wireless, backlit, sleek remote controller
- Smartphone controllable
- Under-bed night lighting available
- Four adjustable legs (adjust from 6″ to 10″ in height as you please)
- The remote controller has a ‘Lock’. Once locked, the bed will not move ‘up and down’ due to accidentally pressing the wrong buttons. Especially if you fall asleep with the remote on the bed, your turning and twisting during sleep can accidentally press the wrong buttons on the remote transforming the bed to the TV watching position from a sleeping position. ‘Lock’ your bed using the ‘lock’ button on the remote and sleep with complete peace of mind!
- The S-Cape 2.0+ has 8 USB ports (4 either side). NOTE: The ‘regular’ S-Cape does NOT have any USB ports; only the S-Cape 2.0+ has ’em.
- Anti-snore position on remote controller
- The S-Cape 2.0 also comes with a lift capacity of 850 Lbs
- It is available as 3 sub-models
- The foundation style S-Cape 2.0: this is the basic and cheapest model
- The furniture style S-Cape 2.0: this is the deck-on-deck style; don’t buy this if you’re planning on using this inside your existing bed frame because the frame will cover the beautiful bottom deck
- The S-Cape 2.0+ : this has some extra features like USB ports which the other versions lack
The L&P S-Cape 2.0 is so feature-rich that it deserves to be among ‘HIGH-END’ luxury bed frames. However, because it lacks the pillow tilting feature, we ‘downgraded’ it to the ‘mid-range’ category. However, do not be misled by that; this is an excellent adjustable bed for anyone that doesn’t need pillow tilting.
Reverie 7S – Another Mid-Range Base
Even though we ranked the Reverie 7S behind the Classic Brands Adjustable Comfort Bed, the 7S is far superior to the Classic Brands in many aspects. The only reason it came 2nd to the Classic Brands is because of the more expensive price tag of the Reverie 7S.
Major Pros and Cons of the Reverie 7S adjustable foundation
- Like all of the mid-range bases, the Reverie 7S also does NOT have pillow tilting
- It is a wall hugger according to its manufacturer, however, its level of wall hugging is nowhere near as what you get with the Leggett & Platt Prodigy or S-Cape. Therefore, you’ll still be ‘bending your back’ a little bit when you reach for your night-stand
- It has 2 programmable and 3 factory preset memory positions
- It has 10 speed, full-body massage with the ‘wave’ mode; just like the Reverie 8Q
- As shown on the picture above, it has 4 mattress retaining bars on the 4 corners. It’s great, and it’s not, at the same time. The writing on the photo is pretty self-explanatory!
- Smartphone app controllable
- NO under-the-bed lighting
- NO USB ports
- Come with height adjustable legs (adjust to 3″, 5″ or 8″ in height)
This may not have the bells and whistles of the S-Cape 2.0, however, it has the must have specs of an adjustable frame. Its massage function works as it’s supposed to work, it’s durable and it has a trusted name in the USA.
At the time of writing this, the S-Cape 2.0 is cheaper than the Reverie 7S, so you really can’t justify buying a 7S, when there’s a more feature-rich model available at a cheaper price.
Hofish adjustable bed – Best Quick-Assembly
- The Hofish One-Step Assembly Adjustable Bed does not have many of the high-end specs we talked about earlier
- It does have head and foot tilt allowing you to sit-up to read a book, watch TV or even a play game on your iPhone. It also lets you raise the feet only; or to adopt the zero-gravity position which does wonders if you have RLS (restless leg syndrome).
- It has two programmable memory positions; the existing zero-gravity and TV-watching positions can be customized according to your favorite positions.
- Most adjustable beds prices in this category are marked lower due to the inclusion of wired remote controllers which are not as sexy as wireless remotes. But worry not, the Hofish adjustable bed with an illuminated wireless remote controller (it ain’t pretty, but it does the job!)
- Generally, putting your adjustable bed together, once it’s shipped to your home, is the biggest pain-in-the neck! Not the Hofish, because it comes with a single-step, 3-minute assembly!
- It also comes with anti-crushing technology which prevents a hand, a toy, a dog, getting crushed between the bed frame and the lowering foundation. This is generally, a feature of high-end adjustable beds like the Leggett and Platt Premier Series.
- Reade our full review of this new electric bed here –> Hofish Adjustable Bed Review – 10 Pros and Cons
The following section describes ‘entry-level’ adjustable beds’ reviews, prices and comparisons that made our list of best bed bases. Note that they DO NOT have the following features
- Pillow Tilting
- Wall Hugging
- Programmable Memory Positions
- Smartphone app control
- USB ports
- Under-bed lighting
- Lumbar support
- Bedroom scenes etc.
That’s not necessarily a bad thing. If you want to keep it plain and simple, these wallet-friendly bases may work perfectly well!
Lucid L300 Adjustable Bed – Best Entry-Level Base
The Lucid L300 adjustable base is emerging as a top contender among the entry-level, budget-friendly category of adjustable beds for sale. Here’s a rundown of its major specs.
- Of course, it can’t give you the luxury of pillow tilting or wall hugging at its highly affordable price tag.
- It doesn’t have the massage option either; no surprises there for the reasonable price point
- It comes with ONE customizable memory position. Multiple programmable positions would have been great. But one is better than none. Program the remote to remember your favorite position (e.g. lounge, zero-gravity, TV watching etc.) and recall it as and when you please, with the press of a single button
- It also comes with one preset memory position: that is the ‘flat’ position.
- It also comes with a flashlight, on the underside of the remote. This too can be very handy, especially at night
- USB Ports. The Lucid adjustable base comes equipped with two USB ports on the under-side of the adjustable foundation. Those that come on the side of the bed are much better.Kneeling under the bed every time you want to charge your phone is impractical. You’ll need to keep the USB charge cable plugged in continuously to make use of these ports. On the plus side, you get these ports on either side of the bed so that both partners can get their phones and tablets charged while they sleep.
- The looks: the L300 comes with a trendy frame that is upholstered in Charcoal Gray cloth. This gives a rich look to this entry-level bed.
- Last but not least, it comes with a 750 pound lifting capacity and a 10-year warranty. You really can’t ask for more from an adjustable bed of this price category
Make sure you read the customer reviews before you buy the Lucid L300
Classic Brands Adjustable Comfort Base – Popular Entry-Level Bed
This is a relatively newly introduced adjustable frame. It is very popular because of its attractive price-tag; however, be informed that you’re getting what you’re paying for. It does not have many of the bells and whistles of most Leggett & Platt, Serta or Reverie adjustable bed reviews for which we have described here. But if you’re after a basic model that is economically priced, the Classic Brands Adjustable Comfort electric bed is what you’re looking for.
Major Pros and Cons of the Classic Brands adjustable bed
- It has NO pillow tilting. But if all you need is head and foot tilting, this will do!
- It has NO wall hugging. We strongly urge you to go with an adjustable bed that is a wall hugger. However, if you’re young and athletic and you’re sure you’ll never get back/neck sprains by leaning backwards to read the night stand; go for it by all means. Oh.. and also, if you’re not planning on having a night-stand, don’t worry about wall hugging at all!
- It has 4 programmable positions. Actually, it comes with 4 factory preset memory positions; (1) lounge, (2) flat, (3) zero-gravity and (4) TV/PC positions. Fortunately, these preset memory programs can be overridden or customized to suit your preferences. This is great. Unfortunately, many users of the Classic brands adjustable bed are not aware of this ‘over-riding’ feature, unlike yourself 🙂 Let’s say you don’t like the built-in zero-gravity position of the Classic brands adjustable comfort bed. First, bring the bed to your favorite zero-gravity position. Secondly, long-press the zero-gravity button on the remote for 3 seconds. Thirdly, enjoy your new, completely customized zero-gravity position that fits you like a glove!
- 3-speed full body massage: Note: the massage function isn’t comparable to the others. According to many reviewers, the vibration is weak and can be barely felt. Secondly, the massage motors/pads are relatively loud! Therefore, we it’s best that you visit your local mattress store and see if they have a Classic Brands adjustable bed for you to test. Check the massage feature; what do you feel? Is it strong or weak? Is it loud or quiet? Compare the strength and noise of the massage motors to a different branded bed and make your final decision!
- Smartphone app controllable? NO
- It has a built-in USB port
- NO under-bed lighting: but this is really NOT a deal breaker. If you need night-lighting, turn on a standalone night lamp; as simple as that 🙂
- Legs can be adjusted to 4″, 7″ or 10.5″
As you will agree, the Classic Brands Adjustable Comfort bed lacks high-end features like wall-hugging and pillow tilting. However, it’ll do the job for someone who doesn’t expect much from their adjustable bed; but if you expect something more from your bed, we urge you to stay away from this. The only reason we ranked this above the Reverie 7S is because of the cheaper priced tag of the Classic Brands adjustable bed. If price wasn’t an issue, in all honesty, the Reverie 7S and S-Cape 2.0 are miles above the Classic Brands adjustable bed.
Leggett & Platt Raven – Sleekest bed frame
- This too doesn’t have all those luxury specs of the high-end models
- This stands out among the entry-level adjustable bed frames based on two specs
- It comes pre-assembled in a queen-mattress sized-box. All you need to do is screw the four legs in. It only takes five minutes to assemble after unpacking.
- Thin profile makes it easy to fit into any bed frame. Further, thanks to the thin frame, you can place even an extra-thick mattress (e.g. 14 inches) without making the bed too tall
- Wireless remote controller – other entry-level models have wired remotes
- Microhook retention – other entry-level models have mattress retaining bars
- Compressed/compact frame – allows it to fit within even the slimmest beds
- Charcoal gray micro-suede fabric gives a luxury look and feel
- Designed, engineered and assembled in the USA
Sealy Ease Adjustable Bed – Last but not least bed
- This is our #10 ranked adjustable base that takes the bottom spot.
- This too has a wireless remote controller
- However, it’s no exception to other entry-level brands when it comes to pillow tilting, programmable memory positions, massage, wall hugging etc. It doesn’t have them luxury specs!
DM9000s Bed – All-Round Best Adjustable Bed of 2020
The DynastyMattress DM9000s is our #1 recommended best adjustable bed of 2019 and 2020 in the high-end category. It won this coveted position surpassing 2018’s best model, the Prodigy 2.0.
Why does the DynastyMattress DM9000s get our highest recommendation?
Because it has the following high-end specs… and more…
- Independent Pillow Tilting: Of the many adjustable bases with pillow tilting, only a few have truly independent pillow tilting. When pillow tilting first came about, there wasn’t a dedicated motor for it. There were only two motors, one for the feet and the other for the head. After the head tilt was completely raised, the motor would go on to tilt the pillow section. In contrast, adjustable beds such as the DM9000s has a 3rd motor dedicated for pillow tilting. Therefore, you can tilt the pillow section anytime you want, even when the head section is completely lowered and flat. How cool is that? !!
- Independent Lumbar Support: In addition to the 3 motors for head, foot and pillow tilting, the DM9000s has a 4th motor for its independent lumbar support feature. You can raise or lower the lumbar support arm to increase or decrease pressure on your lumbar area. Just like there is a 4th motor for that, there are also a couple of independent buttons on the wireless remote to operate them. It is this lumbar support feature that makes the DM9000s one of the best adjustable beds for back pain. Check out what this customer has to say about the Lumbar Support.
- Four Programmable and Preset Memory Positions: The DM9000s comes with three programmable memory positions and one preset memory position. The Zero Gravity, Memory A and Memory B are customizable according to your personal preference. You can program Memory A and B to anti-snore, lounging, feet relaxing, or TV watching position based on the most common positions you’ll use.
- Wall Hugging: up to 11″ back travel keeps you within reach of the nightstand even when you’re raised into a sitting up position
- Furniture-style decking: Beautifully upholstered furniture-style deck allows you to use the adjustable bed as a standalone bed without placing it inside of a wooden bed frame. However, note that this can also be an disadvantage: for example, if you were planning on placing your adjustable bed inside of an existing wooden frame, this may not fit inside your frame (make sure you double check the dimensions). Also, you’re paying for the furniture-style double decking and then in turn hiding it inside your wooden frame… doesn’t sound right does it?
- Great Price: all other adjustable beds with the above features are priced roughly about $1000 higher than the Dynasty Mattress DM9000s. So if you need these high-end specs, would you buy this model or pay an extra $1000 for a different brand?
- Lifetime Warranty: If you were worried about the relatively cheap pricing, worry not. The DM9000s comes with an amazing warranty
- Lifetime warranty on the steel frame
- 10-year full warranty on parts and labor
- Miscellaneous Features: In addition to the specs described above, any DynastyMattress DM9000s adjustable bed review will tell you that it has the following bonus specs.
- 4 USB ports
- Bluetooth speaker system with a sub-woofer
- Anti-slipping Micro-hooking mattress retention system in addition to the mattress retention bar
- Under-bed LED lighting
- Legs with 6 – 10″ adjustable height
We have done a detailed DynastyMattress DM9000s adjustable bed review elsewhere. But you really don’t need to go there. Everything you wanted to know about the adjustable base was explained here for you !!
What is the best adjustable bed of 2020?
As you could tell from the above adjustable bed reviews, the overall best adjustable bed for 2020 are the DynastyMattress DM9000s and Sven & Son Platinum depending on whether you need furniture-style decking or not.
Top runners up on the list are Leggett & Platt Prodigy Comfort Elite, Williamsburg Plus, iDealBed 4i Custom and Blissful Nights adjustable frames depending on which features you want.
The Adjustable Bed Buyers’ Guide
Now that you have gone through the above guide on how to pick one of the best adjustable beds, you should now answer the following two questions.
- What do I want from my adjustable bed?
- Which adjustable bed features do I want in my bed base?
The best adjustable beds for different functions and needs
The adjustable bed will be used for…
Major feature needed for that function
Best adjustable beds for the job
|Watching TV, Reading, Laptop Work||Pillow Tilting||Our #1 Recommended Beds, DM9000s and Sven & Son Platinum|
|Snoring||Pillow Tilting (anti-snore position)||Same as above|
|GERD/Acid Reflux||Elevation Lift Articulation||Glideaway Elevation and Ascend beds|
|Seniors||Elevation Lift Articulation||Same as above|
|Easily Reaching the Nightstand||Wall Hugging||Prodigy PT, Blissful Nights Wall Glider|
|Back Pain||Lumbar Support||Prodigy Comfort Elite with Lumbar Support, Sven & Son adjustable base|
|Relaxing Tired Muscles||Therapeutic Massage Motors||Same as above|
|Instantly Adopting Your Favorite Position||Programmable Memory Positions||Prodigy PT, Reverie 9T and Sven and Son Classic bed frame|
|Charging Devices||USB Ports||All of above, iDealBed 4i Custom, Amerisleep adjustable bed|
|Awesome Looks||Deck-on-Deck Furniture Style Design||Reverie 9T, DM9000s, Prodigy PT|
|The Best of the Best Adjustable Beds have all of the above features and more…|
Can you now decide which adjustable base fulfills your needs the best?
Typical Adjustable Bed Prices
Adjustable bed prices can range from approximately $350 – 8000 (for a Lucid L100 base vs a Sleep Number FlexFit 3 or certain Tempur-Pedic, Glideaway and Leggett & Platt models).
If you do your research right, you can get a fully fledged split king adjustable bed for less than $2000 or a split-queen adjustable bed frame for less than $1500. You just have to spend a couple of hours with our adjustable bed guide.
Conclusion on Reviews of Adjustable Beds
So, what’s the final verdict after all these adjustable beds reviews? What’s the best adjustable bed in the current market? Which type of adjustable bed suits my particular needs best? Well… here are the answers.
Entry-level adjustable bed frames work best for…
An entry-level adjustable frame like the Lucid L300, Milemont or the iDealBed 4i would do just fine
- If all you want is to raise the head (e.g. to watch TV) or feet (e.g.. you have restless leg syndrome),
- If you have no intention of using therapeutic massage, USB ports, Bluetooth connectivity, smartphone compatibility etc.
- If you’re on a budget and don’t want to spend for features you’ll rarely use
High-end Adjustable Beds for Sale
If what you expect from an adjustable bed is not what is listed above, you will want a top-of-the-line adjustable bed with all the bells and whistles, we recommend you choose a model like the DM9000s, Sven & Son, Amerisleep or even the Glideaway Elevation if you need an anti-acid reflux bed.
Last but not least, remember that you’ll need to compliment your high-quality adjustable bed with a durable adjustable bed mattress. Be sure to explore our website to view specific adjustable bed reviews, prices and more.
Best Adjustable Mattresses
Latex and Memory Foam mattresses are undoubtedly the best adjustable bed mattresses. Air mattresses like those from Sleep Number also work. We do not recommend conventional innerspring mattresses and water beds to be used as adjustable mattresses. Hybrid mattresses with individually wrapped coil springs also work, but we like to emphasize again, that you'll get the highest durability with a high quality latex or foam mattress.
Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress
- 100% Natural Pure Latex (from Sri Lanka) - It's not Synthetic Latex Foam, it's not commonly found Poly Foam, and it's not even blended Latex Foam
- Quilted Cover made from Organic Wool from New Zealand and Organic Cotton
- Available as Soft (for side sleepers), Medium (for back sleepers and combination sleepers) and Firm (for stomach sleepers) depending on sleeper preference
- 9" total thickness
- 6” Natural Latex Foam base layer
- 2” 20 ILD Natural Latex Foam top layer
- 1" Organic Wool Padding
- Sleeps Cool - air chambers makes sure the mattress stays cool. Breathable organic wool and organic cotton allow easy air exchange/circulation
- Fire resistant - wool padding provides a natural fire barrier allowing the manufacturer to eliminate use of fire-retardant chemicals on the mattresses
- GREENGUARD Gold Certified by UL - No Fire Retardant Chemicals or Fire-Barrier Cloths thanks to naturally fire resistant wool
- Unlike certain memory foam mattresses, no odors, no assembly time; ready-to-sleep as soon as you open the packing
- Check it out here
Latex for Less
- Comes with a 120 night sleep trial
- Made in the USA
- Free Shipping and Free Returns
- 20 Year Warranty
- 100% Natural Latex and Organic Cotton
- 2-in1 design: two different firmness options on either side
- Hybrid mattress - top natural latex layer + middle plush memory foam layer is + bottom individually wrapped spring coils
- 100 Night Risk-Free Trial
- Cheap option
Want to go back to our adjustable bed comparison tables above? If you're done, please share with us below your thoughts about our adjustable bed and mattress reviews. Thank you!